Designing usability into medical products
- Michael E. Wiklund, Stephen B. Wilcox ; foreword by Matthew B. Weinger.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, 2005.
- Physical description
- , 339 p.,  p. of col. plates : ill. ; 25 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
R856 .D473 2005
- Unknown R856 .D473 2005
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- GENERAL PRINCIPLES AND PROCESSES The Rising Bar - Medical Product Design Excellence, M.E. Wiklund The Role of Industrial Design and Human Engineering in the Design of Software-Driven Medical Products, S.B. Wilcox Is Your Human Factors Program Ready for FDA Scrutiny? M.E. Wiklund Human Factors Roundtable User-Centered Medical Product Development and the Problem of Egocentrism, S.B. Wilcox Ethnographic Methods for New Product Development, S.B. Wilcox Time-Lapse Video Offers More Information in Less Time, S.B. Wilcox Finding and Using Data Regarding the Shape and Size of the User's Body, S.B. Wilcox Can You Trust What People Say? S.B. Wilcox Eight Ways to Kill Innovation, S.B. Wilcox Developing Testable Product Simulations: Speed Is of the Essence, S.B. Wilcox Patient Simulators Breathe Life into Product Testing, M.E. Wiklund Return of the Renaissance Person: A Valuable Contributor to Medical Product Development, S.B. Wilcox Patenting Software User Interfaces, M.E. Wiklund DESIGN METHODS AND GUIDANCE The Vision Statement for Product Design - In Your Mind's Eye, M.E. Wiklund Making Medical Device Interfaces More User-Friendly, M.E. Wiklund Controlling Complexity, M.E. Wiklund Eleven Keys to Designing Error-Resistant Medical Devices, M.E. Wiklund Designing a Global User Interface, M.E. Wiklund Why Choose Color Displays? M.E. Wiklund Intuitive Design: Removing Obstacles Also Increases Appeal, M.E. Wiklund Medical Devices That Talk, M.E. Wiklund Home-Healthcare: Applying Inclusive Design Principles to Medical Devices, S.B. Wilcox Designing Usable Auditory Signals, S.B. Wilcox Medical Device User Manuals: Shifting toward Computerization, M.E. Wiklund CORPORATE HUMAN FACTORS PROGRAMS User-Centered Design at Abbott Laboratories, E.W. Israelski and W.H. Muto User-Centered Design at ETHICON ENDO-SURGERY, L. Spreckelmeier PRODUCT DESIGN CASE STUDIES Case Study: Personal Hemodialysis System Case Study: Patient Monitor Case Study: Contrast Medium Injector System for CT Scanning Case Study: Remotely Controlled Defibrillator Resources Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Advocating a user-centered approach to medical technology design, Designing Usability into Medical Products covers the essential processes and specific techniques necessary to produce safe, effective, usable, and appealing medical systems and products. Written by experts on user-centered research, design, and evaluation, the book provides a range of alternative approaches to the subject. Wiklund and Wilcox explore how to make medical devices safe and effective by involving users in the design process. They discuss specific design and evaluation methods and tools, present case studies of user-friendly medical technologies and corporate human factors programs, and supply related resources for medical design professionals. The book conveys an in-depth understanding of the user-centered design process, covers design methods for FDA compliance, and offers guidance on performing a variety of hands-on user research, user interface design, and user interface evaluation. The authors make a compelling case for treating the user's needs and preferences as a top design priority, rather than an afterthought. They demonstrate that high-quality customer interactions with systems and products leads to effective medical diagnosis and treatment, increases the physical and mental well being of patients and caregivers, and leads to commercial success in a crowded marketplace.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0849328438 (alk. paper)
- 9780849328435 (alk. paper)