Carl Mydans estate photography collection, 1935-1968
- Physical description
- 89 prints in two flat boxes (1.5 linear feet)
At the library
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|MSS PHOTO 243||In-library use|
|MSS PHOTO 243 FLAT BOX 1||In Reading Room: Ask at service desk|
|MSS PHOTO 243 FLAT BOX 2||In Reading Room: Ask at service desk|
|MSS PHOTO 243 FLAT BOX 3||In Reading Room: Ask at service desk|
- Mydans, Carl.
- Finding aid
- Finding aid available online
- Organization & arrangement
- Arranged by topic.
- Chiang, Kai-shek, 1887-1975 > Photographs.
- Zhou, Enlai, 1898-1976 > Photographs.
- Churchill, Winston, 1874-1965 > Photographs.
- De Valera, Éamon, 1882-1975 > Photographs.
- Gandhi, Indira, 1917-1984 > Photographs.
- Gable, Clark, 1901-1960 > Photographs.
- Khrushchev, Nikita Sergeevich, 1894-1971 > Photographs.
- Lombard, Carole, 1908-1942 > Photographs.
- MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964 > Photographs.
- Mann, Thomas, 1875-1955 > Photographs.
- Minami, General > Photograph.
- Mossadegh, Mohammed > Photograph.
- Mydans, Carl > Photographs.
- Mydans, Shelley Smith > Photographs.
- Nabokov, Vladimir Vladimirovich, 1899-1977 > Photographs.
- Nehru, Jawaharlal, 1889-1964 > Photographs.
- Pound, Ezra, 1885-1972 > Photographs.
- Photography, Artistic.
- War correspondents > United States > Photographs.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use.
- Gift of the estate of Carl Mydans, 2005. Accession 2005-367.
- American photojournalist, 1907-2004, Mydans joined LIFE magazine at its start in 1936 as a staff photographer. In 1939, he and his wife, LIFE researcher Shelley Smith, were sent overseas to cover the war. They were captured and kept as prisoners of war for nearly two years, first in Japan and later in China. In addition to what have become classic images of World War II, Mydans was the only reporter on the scene of the 1948 earthquake in Fukui, Japan. He also covered the Korean War. The collection includes portraits of politicians, literary figures, and common people.
- Cumulative index or finding aid
- Unpublished finding aid available in the reading room.
Browse related items
Start at call number: