Discovering the universe
- 7th ed. / Neil F. Comins, William J. Kaufmann III.
- New York, NY : W.H. Freeman and Co., c2005.
- Physical description
- 1 v. (various pagings) : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 28 cm. + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- PART I: UNDERSTANDING ASTRONOMY-- Discovering the Night Sky-- Gravitation and the Waltz of the Planets-- Light and Telescopes-- Visible Light and Other Electromagnetic Radiation-- PART II: UNDERSTANDING THE SOLAR SYSTEM-- Formation of The Solar System and Other Planetary Systems-- Earth and Moon-- The Other Terrestrial Planets-- The Outer Planets-- Vagabonds of the Solar System-- The Sun: Our Extraordinary, Ordinary Star-- PART III: UNDERSTANDING THE STARS-- The Challenge of Characterizing Stars-- The Lives of Stars from Birth Through Middle Ages-- The Deaths of Stars-- Black Holes-- PART IV: UNDERSTANDING THE UNIVERSE-- The Milky Way Galaxy-- Galaxies-- Quasars, Active Galaxies, and Gamma-Ray Bursters-- Cosmology-- The Search for Extraterrestrial Life-- Appendix I: Table of Data-- Appendix II: Math Foundation.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780716769606 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This brief text for descriptive one-term astronomy courses has as its vibrant main theme the process of scientific discovery. Readers will encounter spectacular sights, landmark experiments, and recent discoveries, while learning to avoid the pitfalls created by common misconceptions about astronomy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780716767961 20160527
- Discovering the Universe is the best-selling text for descriptive one-term astronomy courses (especially those with no mathematics prerequisites). Carried along by the book's vibrant main theme - the process of scientific discovery - readers will encounter spectacular sights, landmark experiments, and recent discoveries, while learning to avoid the pitfalls created by common misconceptions about astronomy. Now enhanced with a powerful technology and image projection package, this is the most exciting and effective edition yet. The accompanying CD-ROM features a special student version of the award winning planetarium software Starry Night as well as the universe modelling programme Deep Space Explorer.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780716769606 20160528
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- 0716769603 (pbk. with CD)
- 0716767961 (high school hardback with CD)
- 0716775840 (pbk. with CD & e-book)
- 9780716769606 (pbk. with CD)
- 9780716767961 (high school hardback with CD)
- 9780716775843 (pbk. with CD & e-book)
- 0716788713 (hbk.)
- 9780716788713 (hbk.)
- 0716767511 (pbk.)
- 9780716767510 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: