Explaining the failure of democracy in the Democratic Republic of Congo : autocracy and dissent in an ambivalent world
- Osita G. Afoaku.
- Lewiston, N.Y. : E. Mellen Press, c2005.
- Physical description
- xv, 222 p. ; 24 cm.
- African studies (Lewiston, N.Y.) ; v. 76.
- Afoaku, Osita George.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 205-211) and index.
- Tables-- Abbreviations-- Foreword-- Preface-- Acknowledgements-- 1. Introduction-- 2. Autocracy and Dissent in Colonial Congo-- 3. Cold War and Personal Rule-- 4. The Rise and Fall of the Sacred Union-- 5. The 1996-97 Rebellion and Mobutu's Fall from Power-- 6. The Anti-Kabila Revolt and Its Consequences-- 7. Summary and Conclusions-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780773460348 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- This work traces the remote origins of Congo's current national predicament and the people's protracted quest for democracy and social justice. The first part of the book provides an account of the political history of modern Congo which sets the context for the second part, an in-depth discussion of the interplay of internal and external forces in Congo and their impact on the politics of democratic transition in the country from 1990 through early 2000s. Arguing that recent popular resistance against political dictatorship in Congo builds on a longstanding tradition, the author offers critical analysis of post-Cold War configuration of pro-democracy forces (or the appearance thereof) inside the country and at the global level, which compelled President Mobutu to inaugurate political reform in April 1990. Against this backdrop, the author assesses the roles played by the Sovereign National Conference (SNC), the transitional institutions established by the SNC, and the Sacred Union of opposition, all of which emerged during the early 1990s in response to the government's decision to lift the ban on partisan political activity. The book concludes with cautious optimism about the prospects for democracy and sustainable economic development in the post-Mobutu Congo and an overview of some of the practical steps that must be taken by the Congolese people and the global community in order to realize these objectives.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780773460348 20160527
- Publication date
- African studies ; 76
Browse related items
Start at call number: