Encomium musices quod ex Sacris Litteris concinnabat Philip. Gallaeus. Iconibus exprimebat pictor celeberrimus Io. Stradanas. Versibus illustrabat doctissimus Io. Bochius, urbi Antverp. à secretis
- Anterpiae : Apud Philippum Gallaeum, [ca. 1600]
- Physical description
- 18 leaves, 17 plates ; 26 x 33 cm
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|MLM 966D .E6||Basement|
- 1. Title page
- 2. Preface
- 3. Creation, Job xxxviii
- 4. Mirjam's song, Exod. xv
- 5. Saul among the prophets, 1 Sam. x
- 6. David playing before Saul, 1 Sam. xvi
- 7. David's triumph over Goliath, 1 Sam. xciii
- 8. David dancing before the tabernacle, 2 Sam. vi
- 9. Solomon takes the tabernacle into the temple, 2 Chron. v
- 10. Elijah and the kings, 2 Kings iii
- 11. Sacrifice of King Asa, 2 Chron. xv
- 12. Coronation of King Joas, 2 Chron. xxiii
- 13. Inauguration of Jerusalem's walls by Nehemiah, Neh. xii
- 14. Judith's triumph, Judith (Apocrypha) xv
- 15. Rededication of the temple by Simon Maccabaeus, 1 Maccabaeus (Apocrypha) xiii
- 16. Annunciation, Luke ii
- 17. Holy mass
- 18. The glory of the Lamb, Rev. v.
- Publication date
- Illustrated engraved t.p.
- A collection of Flemish engravings (some of which are signed by Adriaen Colleert) depicting musical events from the Bible. A paraphrased Biblical quotation in Latin hexameters is at foot of each engraving. The musical instruments represented are mostly those in use in the 16th century.
- The preface leaf is letterpress; all others are engraved.
- Stanford University Libraries copy in box, 42 x 47 x 9 cm, with each plate mounted, 24 x 29 cm. Leaf  is photocopy of letterpress text, not mounted; original leaf lacking.
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: