New keywords : a revised vocabulary of culture and society
- edited by Tony Bennett, Lawrence Grossberg, Meaghan Morris.
- Malden, MA : Blackwell Pub., 2005.
- Physical description
- xxvi, 427 p. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -416).
- AknowledgementsAbbreviations IntroductionAAesthetics Alternative Art AudienceBBehaviour Biology Body BureaucracyCCanon Capitalism Celebrity Citizenship City Civilization Class Colonialism Commodity Communication Community Conservatism Consumption Copy Country CultureDDeconstruction Democracy Desire Development Diaspora Difference Disability Discipline DiscourseEEconomy Education Elite Emotion Empirical Environment/ecology Equality Ethnicity Everyday Evolution ExperienceFFamily Fashion Feminism Fetish Freedom FundamentalismGGay and Lesbian Gender Generation Gene/genetic Globalization GovernmentHHeritage History Holocaust Home Human Human RightsIIdeology Identity Image Indigenous Individual Industry Information IntellectualJJusticeKKnowledge L LiberalismMManagement Marginal Market Mass Materialism Media Memory Mobility Modern Movements MulticulturalismNNarrative Nation Nature Network NormalOObjectivity Orientalism OtherPParticipation Person Place Policy Political correctness Popular Pornography Postcolonialism Postmodernism Poverty Power Pragmatism Private PublicQQueerRRace Radical Reason Reform/revolution Relativism Representation Resistance RiskSScience Self Sexuality Sign Socialism Society Sovereignty Space Spectacle StateTTaste Technology Text Theory Therapy Time Tolerance TourismUUnconscious UtopiaVValue VirtualWWelfare West, the Work WritingYYouth Notes on editors and contributors References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780631225683 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Raymond Williams' "Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society" is justly renowned for its role in providing a whole generation of students and intellectuals with trusty and cogent distillations of the language of cultural studies. First published in 1976, the text played a pivotal role in both academic and public understandings of culture and society and the relations between them. New "Keywords: A Revised Vocabulary of Culture and Society" updates William's classic text by reflecting the transformation in culture and society over the last quarter century. "New Keywords" includes many of William's original entries, but with new discussions of their history and use over the last 25 years. Several other entries encapsulate the practices, institutions, and debates of contemporary society. The editors have assembled an international team of scholars to write from a variety of disciplines and interdisciplinary fields - cultural and media studies, feminism, post-colonial and subaltern studies, the history of science, sociology, gay and lesbian studies. The result is a state-of-the art reference for students, teachers and public intellectuals everywhere.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780631225683 20160528
- Over 25 years ago, Raymond Williams' "Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society" set the standard for how we understand and use the language of culture and society. Now, three luminaries in the field of cultural studies have assembled a volume that builds on and updates Williams' classic, reflecting the transformation in culture and society since its publication. "New Keywords: A Revised Vocabulary of Culture and Society" is a state-of-the-art reference for students, teachers and culture vultures everywhere.The book assembles a stellar team of internationally renowned and interdisciplinary social thinkers and theorists; showcases 142 signed entries - from art, commodity, and fundamentalism to youth, utopia, the virtual, and the West - that capture the practices, institutions, and debates of contemporary society; builds on and updates Raymond Williams' classic "Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society", by reflecting the transformation in culture and society over the last 25 years; and, includes a bibliographic resource to guide research and cross-referencing. The book is supported by a website.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780631225690 20160528
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- Rev. ed. of: Keywords / Raymond Williams. 1985.
- Related Work
- Williams, Raymond Keywords.
- 9780631225683 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0631225684 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780631225690 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0631225692 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: