Women scientists in fifties science fiction films
- Bonnie Noonan.
- Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland & Co., c2005.
- Physical description
- ix, 225 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Noonan, Bonnie, 1949-
- Filmography: p. 163-191.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 211-214) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book proposes that the social ideology of the 1950s, which was partly concerned with gender issues, saturated the "B" science fiction films of that era and inspired a new appreciation for the role of women in scientific advancements and other social achievements. Drawing on feminist literary and cultural theory, the author offers detailed, historically situated readings of 10 films and compares cinematic representations with real female professionals of the time.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780786421305 20160528
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- 0786421304 (softcover : alk. paper)
- 9780786421305 (softcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: