Steinbeck - Ainsworth collection , circa 1880-1992
- Physical description
- 3 linear feet (9 boxes)
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
- Steinbeck, John, 1902-1968.
- Finding aid
- Finding aid available online (html)
- Organization & arrangement
- Organized into six series: 1. Correspondence. 2. Literary Works. 3. Documents and Ephemera. 4. Photos. 5. Miscellaneous. 6. Scrapbook.
- This collection features 65 letters and cards from John Steinbeck to his sister Beth Steinbeck Ainsworth during the 1950s and 1960s, and 10 additional letters written jointly to Ainsworth and another sister, Esther Steinbeck Rodgers. Additional correspondence includes letters from Elaine Steinbeck to Beth, and to Jean Groshong; several letters from John Steinbeck to "Uncle Joe" Hamilton; and other letters among members of the Steinbeck and Hamilton families. Manuscript material includes several short stories composed in the 1920s, and a galley proof of "East of Eden" with at least six minor corrections in John Steinbeck's hand. Other material includes legal documents, photographs, and scrapbook clippings. Individual letters have scope and content notes provided by members of the Wiltshire familiy, descendents of Elizabeth Steinbeck Ainsworth.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use.
- Cite as
- [identification of item], Steinbeck - Ainsworth collection (M1501). Dept. of Special Collections, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.
- Purchased, 2005. Accession 2005-274.
- Cumulative index or finding aid
- Unpublished guide available in the department.
Browse related items
Start at call number: