Rachmaninoff : life, work, recordings
- Max Harrison.
- New York ; London : Continuum, 2005.
- Physical description
- vi, 422 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
At the library
Archive of Recorded Sound
|ML410 .R12 H37 2005||Unknown|
- Harrison, Max.
- 1. Before the Beginning
- 2. The Family Breaks Up
- 3. Zveref and Moscow
- 4. Composition Starts
- 5. The Break with Zveref
- 6. To Ivanovka
- 7. More Compositions
- 8. Towards Graduation
- 9. Aleko and the Graduation
- 10. First Moves as 'Free Artist'
- 11. More Productions and Tchaikovsky's Death
- 12. The Long Road to Symphony No.
- 13. A Symphony Misunderstood
- 14. London Visit, Moscow Cure
- 15. The Crimea, Italy, Concerto No.
- 16. Composition Concludes and There is a Marriage
- 17. Variations, Preludes and a Child is Born
- 18. Two Operas
- 19. An Abortive Revolution, the Operas Produced
- 20. Sonata, Symphony, Part of an Opera
- 21. The Isle of the Dead and a Concerto in D Minor
- 22. America and the Liturgy.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
A comprehensive biography of the legendary composer of piano symphonies and virtuoso pianist 'It is so satisfying to have another important book about this great composer - it is comprehensive and well researched. Max Harrison writes with passion and intelligence - highly recommended.' Vladimir Ashkenazy, President of the Rachmaninoff Society 'Max Harrison slices through a century's worth of wrongheaded critical bluster and rediscovers the music of a major composer. Essential reading - even if you think you don't like Rachmaninoff.' Terry Teachout Rachmaninoff's reputation now seems confirmed as one of the great figures of classical music yet there is relatively little written about his music and recordings. This book provides a unified biography of Rachmaninoff covering his life, works and performances. It offers a full analysis of his works and a complete account of his careers as a distinguished conductor, composer and concert pianist.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0826453449 (hbk.)
- 9780826453440 (cased)
Browse related items
Start at call number: