The birth of nobility : constructing aristocracy in England and France : 900-1300
- David Crouch.
- 1st ed.
- Harlow, England ; New York : Pearson/Longman, 2005.
- Physical description
- xiii, 361 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Crouch, David.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 323-354) and index.
- FOREWORD INTRODUCTION PART ONE : NOBLE CONDUCT *Reconstructing Chivalry *From Preudommie to Chevalerie *Out of the Iron Age PART TWO : NOBLE DESCENT
- 4. Constructing Families
- 5. The Power of Lineage
- 6. The Growth of Snobbery PART THREE : NOBLE CLASS
- 7. Historians and Noble Class
- 8. Medieval People and Social Division
- 9. The Precocity of England PART FOUR : NOBLE LORDSHIP
- 10. The Feudal Debate
- 11. Power and Structures
- 12. Noble Women : The View from the Stands SELECT BIBLIOGRAPHY INDEX .
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
For 300 years scholars in Britain and France have been working industriously to explain the idea of medieval aristocracy. One part of this book analyses this enormous international field of publications, and breaks it down into four debates: on noble conduct, noble lineage, noble class and noble power. It identifies the points of divergence in the national traditions in each of these debates, and where they have been mutually incomprehensible. It integrates American historiography into the British and French debates as it touches on each. But in addition to all this, the book presents an entirely new perspective on each of the four great debates. Each is subjected to a thorough review by comparing current scholarship with what a vast range of historical source material actually says about each.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Nobility > Great Britain > History > To 1500.
- Nobility > France > History > To 1500.
- Aristocracy (Social class) > Great Britain > History > To 1500.
- Aristocracy (Social class) > France > History > To 1500.
- Social history > Medieval, 500-1500.
- Great Britain > Social life and customs > 1066-1485.
- France > Social life and customs > To 1328.
- Publication date
- 0582369819 (pbk.)
- 9780582369818 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: