Mechanics : from Newton's laws to deterministic chaos
- Scheck, Florian, 1936-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -540) and indexes.
- Elementary Newtonian Mechanics.- The Principles of Canonical Mechanics.- The Mechanics of Rigid Bodies.- Relativistic Mechanics.- Geometric Aspects of Mechanics.- Stability and Chaos.- Continuous Systems.- Exercises.- Solution of Exercises.- Appendix.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540219255 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This updated and revised fourth edition covers all topics in mechanics from elementary Newtonian mechanics, canonical and rigid body mechanics to relativistic mechanics and nonlinear dynamics. In particular, symmetries and invariance principles, geometrical structures and continuum mechanics play an important role. Scheck's "Mechanics" enables the reader to develop understanding of the general principles from which equations of motions may be derived, to appreciate the importance of symmetries as a basis for quantum mechanics and to get practice in using theoretical tools and concepts that are essential for all branches of physics. The book contains numerous problems with complete solutions, and some practical examples. This will be appreciated in particular by students using the text to accompany lectures on mechanics. The book ends with some historical remarks on important pioneers in mechanics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540219255 20160528
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
- Publication date
- Advanced texts in physics, 1439-2674
- "Title of the original German edition: Mechanik, 7. Auflage."--T.p. verso.
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: