Publishing the Prince : history, reading, & the birth of political criticism
- Jacob Soll.
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, c2005.
- Physical description
- xii, 202 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Soll, Jacob, 1968-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 177-195) and index.
- List of Illustrations--
- Chapter 1. Political Theory as Textual Criticism--
- Chapter 2. How to Teach Kings to Read History: Humanist Culture and the Disenchantment of Absolutist Power--
- Chapter 3. Political Power in the Archives: From Reason of State to Critical History--
- Chapter 4. In the Workshop of Politics: Amelot de La Houssaye and the Methods of Unmasking Venice--
- Chapter 5. How to Read a Subversive: Decoding Reason of State of the Self--
- Chapter 6. The Machiavellian Reformation: Critical Technologies of Reading and the Culture of Personal Prudence--
- Chapter 7. An Enlightened Prince Reads Machiavelli, and a Philosophe Publishes The Prince-- Notes-- Catalog of Works by Nicolas-Abraham Amelot de La Houssaye-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- "Catalog of works by Abraham-Nicolas de La Houssaye" (p. 171-175).
- 0472114735 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780472114733 (cloth : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: