- Jay Lehr, editor in chief ; Jack Keeley, senior editor ; Janet Lehr, associate editor ; Thomas B. Kingery III, information technology director.
- Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, c2005.
- Physical description
- 5 v. : ill. ; 29 cm.
Earth Sciences Library (Branner)
Library has: 5 v.
|TD345 .L393 2005 V.1||In-library use|
|TD345 .L393 2005 V.2||In-library use|
|TD345 .L393 2005 V.3||In-library use|
|TD345 .L393 2005 V.4||In-library use|
|TD345 .L393 2005 V.5||In-library use|
Marine Biology Library (Miller)
Library has: v.4
|TD345 .L393 2005 V.4||In-library use|
- Preface. Contributors. Oceanography. Air-Sea Interaction. NOAA's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory. Laboratory Experiments On Bivalve Excretion Rates of Nutrients. Temporal Scaling of Benthic Nutrient Regeneration in Bivalve-Dominated Tidal Flat. Breakwaters. The Ocean in Climate. Coastal Waters. Marine Colloids. Deep Water Corals. Marine Debris Abatement. Larvae and Small Species of Polychaetes in Marine Toxilogical Testing. El Nino: The Interannual Prediction Problem. Renewable Energies from the Ocean. Estuarian Waters. NOS/NMFS Cooperative Research on Coastal Fisheries and Habitats at the Beaufort Laboratory. Distribution and Dynamics of Gas Hydrates in the Marine Environment. Oceanographic Environment of Glacier Bay. NOS Sanctuaries Protect Nation's Maritime History. Quantification of Anoxia and Hypoxia in Water Bodies. Floating Ice. Technology Development: Hardware Development-Marine Instrumentation Laboratory (MIL). Seasonal Coupling Between Intertidal Macrofauna and Sediment Column Porewater Nutrient Concentrations. Mapping the Sea Floor of the Historic Area Remediation Site (HARS) Offshore of New York City. NOAA and University Scientists Study Methyl Bromide Cycling in the North Pacific. Tidally Mediated Changes in Nutrient Concentrations. The Role of Oceans in the Global Cycles of Climatically-Active Trace-Gases. Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory-30 Years of Observing The Ocean. Seawater Temperature Estimates in Paleoceanography. Physical Oceanography. Coastal Water Pollutants. Trace Element Pollution. Coral Reefs and Your Coastal Watershed. Sea Level and Climate. The Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level. Marine and Estuarine Microalgal Sediment Toxicity Tests. Marine Stock Enhancement Techniques. Physical and Chemical Variability of Tidal Streams. Black Water Turns the Tide on Florida Coral. Shallow Water Waves. Water Waves. Woods Hole: The Early Years. An Analysis of the International Maritime Organization-London Convention Annual Ocean Dumping Reports. Marine Sources of Halocarbons. Food Chain/Foodweb/Food Cycle. Plankton. Major Ions in Seawater. Tsunami. Meteorology. Ballooning and Meteorology in the Twentieth Century. Barometric Efficiency. CERES: Understanding The Earth's Clouds and Climate. Chinook. Global Climate Change. Observations of Climate and Global Change from Real-Time Measurements. Overview: The Climate System. Climate and Society. What is Climatology? Cloud Seeding. Condensation. Cosmic Water. The Water Cycle. Cyclones. Water Cycle. Degree Day Method. Desertification. Dew. Dew Deserts. Dew Point. Droughts. Drought Indices. The Earth Observing System: Aqua. Entropy Theory For Hydrologic Modeling. Evaporation. Evapotranspiration. Fog. Coastal Fog Along the Northern Gulf of Mexico. Rain Forests. Frost. Frost Damage. The Global Water Cycle. Ground-Based GPS Meteorology at FSL. Climate and Water Balance on the Island of Hawaii. Heat of Vaporization. Hydrologic History, Problems, and Perspectives. Humidity-Absolute. Relative Humidity. Hurricanes: Modeling Nature's Fury. Hydrologic Cycle. Hydrosphere. Hydrologic Cycle, Water Resources, and Society. Isohyetal Method. What About Meteorology? Basic Research for Military Applications. Uncertainties in Rainfall-Runoff Modeling. Monsoon. African Monsoons. Permanent Frost. Radar Use in Rainfall Measurements. Rainfall. Rainfall and Runoff. Remote Sensing of Applications in Hydrology. Atmospheric Scientists. Rain Simulators. Snow Density. Flattop Mountain Snotel Snowpack: Water Year 2004. Snow and Snowmelt. Snow Surveys. A Statistical Approach to Critical Storm Period Analysis. Sublimation. Transpiration. Waterspout. United States Weather Bureau. Weather Forecasting Through The Ages. Overview of Weather Systems. Unit Hydrograph Theory. Weather and the Atmosphere. Vapor Pressure. Adiabatic Cooling. Rain and Rocks: The Recipe for River Water Chemistry. Physics and Chemistry of Water. Acid Rain and Society. Adsorption Capacity of Activated Carbon for Water Purification. Adsorption of Organic Compounds. Age Dating Old Groundwater. Ammonia. Beryllium in Water. Dissolved Organic Carbon. Mechanisms of Water Adsorption on Carbons. The Effect of Carbon Surface Chemical Composition on the Mechanism of Phenol Adsorption from Aqueous Solutions. Carbonate Geochemistry. Carbonate in Natural Waters. Chlorine-36 and Very Old Groundwaters. Chloroflurocarbons (CFCs). Coagulation and Flocculation. Conductivity-Electric. Conservation and the Water Cycle. Defluroidation. Deuterium. Distilled Water. Electricity as a Fluid. Analysis of Aqueous Solutions Using Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry (esi ms). Fenton's Reaction and Groundwater Remediation. Where Water Floats. Freshwater. Dissolved Gases. Hard Water. An Analysis of The Impact of Water on Health and Aging: Is All Water The Same? Heavy Water. Henry's Law. Hofmeister Effects. Clathrate Hydrates. Hydration. The Mirage of The H2 Economy. Hydrogen Ion. The Hydronium Ion. Infiltration and Soil Moisture Processes. Ion Exchange and Inorganic Adsorption. Iron. Isotopes. Isotope Fractionation. Mariotte Bottle-Use in Hydrology. Mars Exploration Rover Mission. Removal of Organic Micropollutants and Metal Ions from Aqueous Solutions by Activated Carbons. Molecular Network Dynamics. In Situ Chemical Monitoring. Nitrogen. Osmosis-Diffusion of Solvent or Caused by Diffusion of Solutes? Partitioning and Bioavailability. Physical Properties. Environmental Photochemistry in Surface Waters. Isotope Exchange in Gas-Water Reactions. Radon in Water. Silica in Natural Waters. Sodium in Natural Waters. Soft Water. Solubility of Chemicals in Water. Solubility of Hydrocarbons in Salt Water. Solubility of Hydrocarbons and Sulfur Compounds in Water. Sorption Kinetics. Sound in Water. Water on the Space Station. Strontium Isotopes in Water and Rock. Technetium in Water. Water-Nature's Magician. Freezing and Supercooling of Water. Chemical Precipitation. Antimony in Aquatic Systems. Water Law and Economics. The Clean Water Act. Clean Water Act, Water Quality Criteria/Standards, TMDLs, and Weight-of-Evidence Approach for Regulating Water Quality. The Constitution and Early Attempts at Rational Water Planning. Economic Value of Water: Estimation. Water Supply Planning-Federal. Flood Control Act of 1994. Great Lakes Governors' Agreement. U.S./Canadian Boundary Waters Treaty and the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement. Great Lakes Water Quality Initiative. Quantitative GroundWater Law. Islamic Water Law. Transboundary Waters in Latin America: Conflicts and Collaboration. United States-Mexico Border Waters: Conventions, Treaties, and Institutions. Negotiating between Authority and Polluters: An Approach to Managing Water Quality. Water Resource Organizations. A Brief History of the Water Pollution Control Act in the U.S.. The National Pollution Discharge Elimination System. Legal Protection for In-stream Flow. Water Quality. Interface between Federal Water Quality Regulation and State Allocation of Water Quantity. Regulatory Issues and Remediation: Risk, Costs, and Benefits. The Safe Drinking Water Act. Representing Geopolitics of (Hydro) Borders in South Asia. Water Transfers. Reserved Water Rights for Indian and Federal Lands. Wetlands Policy in the United States: From Drainage to Restoration. Water History, Art, and Culture. Curious Uses of AgriculturalWater in the World. Water Between Arabs and Israelis: Researching Twice-Promised Resources. The Myth of Bad Cholesterol: Why Water Is A Better Cholesterol-Lowering Medication. Early Clocks. Water Clocks. Our Evolving Water Consciousness. Effective Water Education Strategies in a Nontraditional Setting. Evolution. History of Pond Fisheries in Poland. Water: The Key to Natural Health And Healing. Water in History. Hoover Dam History. Hydropsychology. Jacob's Well. Jaubert de Passa: The First World History of Irrigation in 1846. Benjamin Franklin: From Kite to Lightning Rod. Water and the History of Man. Water, Bacteria, Life on Mars, and Microbial Diversity. Canals in the Mekong Delta: A Historical Overview from 200 C.E. to the Present. Conflict and Water Use in the Middle East. Benjamin Franklin's Armonica: A Water Music Instrument. Water Transportation Occupations. A Concise Glimpse of Water in the History of Photography. Water as a Human Right. Ancient Water and Soil Conservation Ecosystems of Sri Lanka. Ben Franklin's Gulf Stream Weather and Swim Fins. Water Symbolism. Gordon and Franklin Rivers and the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. The Mistake of Waiting to Get Thirsty. Water and Well-Being. Free Flowing Water: A Source of Wisdom. The Medicinal Properties of the Waters of Saratoga Springs. A History of Hawaiian Freshwater Resources. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736844 20160528
- Preface. Contributors. Water Quality Control. Acid Mine Drainage-Extent and Character. The Control of Algal Populations in Eutrophic Water Bodies. Arsenic Compounds in Water. Arsenic Health Effects. Background Concentration of Pollutants. Waterborne Bacteria. Water Assessment and Criteria. Physiological Biomarkers and the Trondheim Biomonitoring System. Biomarkers, Bioindicators, and the Trondheim Biomonitoring System. Active Biomonitoring (ABM) by Translocation of Bivalve Molluscs. Biochemical Oxygen Demand and Other Organic Pollution Measures. Biodegradation. Bioluminescent Biosensors for Toxicity Testing. Biomanipulation. Genomic Technologies in Biomonitoring. Macrophytes as Biomonitors of Trace Metals. Biosorption of Toxic Metals. Bromide Influence on Trihalomethane and Haloacetic Acid Formation. Activated Carbon: Ion Exchange and Adsorption Properties. Activated Carbon-Powdered. Chlorination. Chlorination By-Products. Classification and Environmental Quality Assessment in Aquatic Environments. Coagulation and Flocculation in Practice. Colloids and Dissolved Organics: Role in Membrane and Depth Filtration. Column Experiments in Saturated Porous Media Studying Contaminant Transport. Cytochrome P450 Monooxygenase as an Indicator of PCB/Dioxin-Like Compounds in Fish. Water Related Diseases. Dishwashing Water Quality Properties. Disinfection By-Product Precursor Removal from Natural Waters. Alternative Disinfection Practices and Future Directions for Disinfection By-Product Minimization. Water Quality Aspects of Dredged Sediment Management. The Economics of Water Quality. Understanding Escherichia Coli O157:H7 and the Need for Rapid Detection in Water. Eutrophication and Organic Loading. Trace Element Contamination in Groundwater of District Hardwar, Uttaranchal, India. Iron Bacteria. Cartridge Filters for Iron Removal. Irrigation Water Quality in Areas Adjoining River Yamuna At Delhi, India. Water Sampling and Laboratory Safety. Municipal Solid Waste Landfills-Water Quality Issues. Land Use Effects on Water Quality. Monitoring Lipophilic Contaminants in the Aquatic Environment using the SPMD-TOX Paradigm. Use of Luminescent Bacteria and the Lux Genes For Determination of Water Quality. Water Quality Management. Water Quality Management and Nonpoint Source Control. Water Quality Management in an Urban Landscape. Water Quality Management in the U.S.: History of Water Regulation. Water Quality Management in a Forested Landscape. Trace Metal Speciation. Metal Ion Humic Colloid Interaction. Heavy Metal Uptake Rates Among Sediment Dwelling Organisms. Methemoglobinemia. Microbial Activities Management. Microbial Dynamics of Biofilms. Microbial Enzyme Assays for Detecting Heavy Metal Toxicity. Microbial Forms in Biofouling Events. Microbiological Quality Control in Distribution Systems. Water Quality Models for Developing Soil Management Practices. Water Quality Modeling-Case Studies. Field Sampling and Monitoring of Contaminants. Water Quality Models: Chemical Principles. Water Quality Models: Mathematical Framework. Environmental Applications with Submitochondrial Particles. Interest in the Use of an Electronic Nose for Field Monitoring of Odors in the Environment. Oil-Field Brine. Oil Pollution. Indicator Organisms. pH. Perchloroethylene (PCE) Removal. A Primer on Water Quality. Overview of Analytical Methods of Water Analyses With Specific Reference to EPA Methods for Priority Pollutant Analysis. Source-Water Protection. Protozoa in Water. Water Quality. Water Quality. Emerging and Recalcitrant Compounds in Groundwater. Road Salt. Review of River Water Quality Modeling Software Tools. River Water Quality Calibration. Salmonella: Monitoring and Detection in Drinking Water. Lysimeter Soil Water Sampling. Regulatory and Security Requirements for Potable Water. A Weight of Evidence Approach to Characterize Sediment Quality Using Laboratory and Field Assays: An Example For Spanish Coasts. Remediation and Bioremediation of Selenium-Contaminated Waters. Shellfish Growing Water Classification. Sorptive Filtration. Quality of Water in Storage. Quality of Water Supplies. The Submitochondrial Particle Assay as a Biological Monitoring Tool. Microscale Test Relationships to Responses to Toxicants in Natural Systems. Toxicity Identification Evaluation. Whole Effluent Toxicity Controls. Development and Application of Sediment Toxicity Tests for Regulatory Purposes. Algal Toxins in Water. Ground Water Quality in Areas Adjoining River Yamuna at Delhi, India. Chlorine Residual. Source Water Quality Management. Dose-Response of Mussels to Chlorine. Metallothioneins as Indicators of Trace Metal Pollution. Amphipod Sediment Toxicity Tests. Ciliated Protists as Test Organisms in Toxicity Assessment. SOFIE: An Optimized Approach for Exposure Tests and Sediment Assays. Passive Treatment of Acid Mine Drainage (Wetlands). Biomarkers and Bioaccumulation: Two Lines of Evidence to Assess Sediment Quality. Lead and its Health Effects. Microbial Detection of Various Pollutants as an Early System for Monitoring of Water Quality and Ecological Integrity of Natural Resources, in Russia. Luminescent Bacterial Biosensors for the Rapid Detection of Toxicants. Development and Application of Sediment. Toxicity Test for Regulatory Purposes. Water Resource Development and Management. Water Resources Challenges in the Arab World. Effluent Water Regulations in Arid Lands. California-Continually the Nation's Leader in Water Use. Lessons from the Rising Caspian. Institutional Aspects of Water Management in China. Will Water Scarcity Limit China's Agricultural Potential? Water and Coastal Resources. Water Use Conservation and Efficiency. Conservation of Water. The Development of American Water Resources: Planners, Politicians, and Constitutional Interpretation. Water Markets: Transaction Costs and Institutional Options. Averting Water Disputes. Water Supply and Water Resources: Distribution System Research. Drought in the Dust Bowl Years. Drought Management Planning. Drought and Water Supply Management. Assessment of Ecological Effects in Water-Limited Environments. Reaching Out: Public Education and Community Involvement in Groundwater Protection. Integration of Environmental Impacts into Water Resources Planning. The Expansion of Federal Water Projects. Flood Control History in the Netherlands. Food and Water in an Emergency. Water Demand Forecasting. Remote Sensing and GIS Application in Water Resources. Globalization of Water. Water Science Glossary of Terms. Harvesting Rainwater. Urban Water Resource and Management in Asia: Ho Chi Minh City. Hydropower-Energy from Moving Water. Water Markets in India: Economic and Institutional Aspects. Water Resources of India. Water Infrastructure and Systems. Overview and Trends in the International Water Market. Best Management Practices for Water Resources. Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM). Management of Water Resources for Drought Conditions. Water Resources Management. NASA Helping to Understand Water Flow in the West. Transboundary Water Conflicts in the Nile Basin. Planning and Managing Water Infrastructure. Application of the Precautionary Principle to Water Science. Water Pricing. Spot Prices, Option Prices, and Water Markets. Water Managed in the Public Trust. Water Recycling and Reuse: The Environmental Benefits. State and Regional Water Supply. River Basin Decisions Support Systems. Water Resource Sustainability: Concepts and Practices. The Provision of Drinking Water and Sanitation in Developing Countries. Sustainable Management of Natural Resources. Sustainable Water Management On Mediterranean Islands: Research and Education. Meeting Water Needs in Developing Countries with Tradable Rights. Water Use in the United States. How We Use Water in These United States. Valuing Water Resources. Water-Here, There, and Everywhere in Canada. Water Conservation-Every Drop Counts in Canada. Ecoregions: A Spatial Framework for Environmental Management. Flood of Portals on Water. Fuzzy Criteria for Water Resources Systems Performance Evaluation. Participatory Multicriteria Flood Management. Water Resources Systems Analysis. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736868 20160528
- Preface.Contributors.Ground Water.Acid Mine Drainage: Sources and Treatment in the United States.Aquifers.Artificial Recharge of Unconfined Aquifer.Groundwater and Arsenic: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Treatment of Arsenic, Chromium, and Biofouling in Water Supply Wells.Artesian Water.Modeling Contaminant Transport and Biodegradation in Groundwater.Biofouling in Water Wells.In Situ Bioremediation of Contaminated Groundwater.Process Limitations of In Situ Bioremediation of Groundwater.Black Mesa Monitoring Program.Brine Deposits.Connate Water.Consolidated Water Bearing Rocks.Sensitivity of Groundwater to Contamination.Water Contamination by Low Level Organic Waste Compounds in the Hydrologic System.Darcy's Law.Groundwater Dating with Radiocarbon.Groundwater Dating with H-He.Dating Groundwaters with Tritium.Recharge in Desert Regions Around The World.Hydrologic Feasibility Assessment and Design in Phytoremediation.Well Design and Construction.Physical Properties of DNAPLs and Groundwater Contamination.Water Dowsing (Witching).Subsurface Drainage.Drawdown.Water Level Drawdown.Water Well Drilling Techniques.Groundwater Dye Tracing in Karst.Earthquakes-Rattling the Earth's Plumbing System.In Situ Electrokinetic Treatment of MtBE, Benzene, and Chlorinated Solvents.Field Capacity.Groundwater Flow Properties.Fluoride Contamination in Ground Water.Rock Fracture.Geochemical Models.Geochemical Modeling-Computer Codes.Geochemical Modeling-Computer Code Concepts.Geological Occurrence of Groundwater.Geophysics and Remote Sensing.Geothermal Water.Ghijben-Herzberg Equilibrium.Groundwater Balance.Hydraulic Head.The Role of Heat in Groundwater Systems.Groundwater Flow in Heterogenetic Sediments and Fractured Rock Systems.Horizontal Wells.Horizontal Wells in Groundwater Remediation.Head.Well Hydraulics and Aquifer Tests.Hydraulic Properties Characterization.Mobility of Humic Substances in Groundwater.Assessment of Groundwater Quality in District Hardwar, Uttaranchal, India.Irrigation Water Quality in District Hardwar, Uttaranchal, India.Infiltration and Soil Water Processes.Infiltration/Capacity/Rates.Infiltrometers.Summary of Isotopes in Contaminant Hydrogeology.Environmental Isotopes in Hydrogeology.Water-Jetting Drilling Technologies for Well Installation And In Situ Remediation of Hydrocarbons, Solvents, and Metals.Karst Hydrology.Karst Topography.Detecting Modern Groundwaters with 85Kr.Land Use Impacts on Groundwater Quality.Groundwater Contamination From Municipal Landfills in the USA.Metal Organic Interactions in Subtitle D Landfill Leachates and Associated Ground Waters.Leaching.Well Maintenance.Megawatersheds.Mass Transport in Saturated Media.Soil and Water Contamination by Heavy Metals.Source, Mobility, and Remediation of Metals.Genetics of Metal Tolerance and Accumulation in Higher Plants.In Situ Groundwater Remediation for Heavy Metal Contamination.Methane in Groundwater.Fossil Aquifers.What is a Hydrochemical Model?Modeling Non-Point Source Pollutants in the Vadose Zone Using GIS.Modeling Techniques for Solute Transport in Groundwater.Ambient Groundwater Monitoring Network Strategies and Design.MtBE.Limiting Geochemical Factors in Remediation Using Monitored Natural Attenuation and Enhanced Bioremediation.Nitrate Contamination of Groundwater.Treatment for Nitrates in Groundwater.Nonpoint Sources.Organic Compounds in Ground Water.Overdraft.Chemical Oxidation Technologies for Groundwater Remediation.Particulate Transport in Groundwater-Bacteria and Colloids.Perched Groundwater.Permeability.Groundwater Vulnerability to Pesticides: An Overview of Approaches and Methods of Evaluation.High pH Groundwater-The Effect of The Dissolution of Hardened Cement Pastes.Phytoextraction and Phytostabilization: Technical, Economic and Regulatory Considerations of the Soil-Lead Issue.Phytoextraction of Zinc and Cadmium from Soils.Using Hyperaccumulator Plants.Phytoremediation Enhancement of Natural Attenuation Processes.Bacteria Role in the Phytoremediation of Heavy Metals.Phytoremediation of Lead-Contaminated Soils.Phytoremediation of Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether.Phytoremediation of Selenium-Laden Soils.Soil Pipes and Pipe Flow.Low Flow Groundwater Purging and Surging.Groundwater Quality.Radial Wells.Recharge in Arid Regions.Sub-Surface Redox Chemistry: A Comparison of Equilibrium and Reaction-Based Approaches.Regional Flow Systems.Groundwater Remediation by Injection and.Problem Prevention.Groundwater Remediation: In Situ Passive.Methods.Groundwater Remediation by In Situ Aeration and Volatilization.Remediation of Contaminated Soils.Groundwater Remediation Project Life Cycle.Innovative Contaminated Groundwater.Remediation Technologies.Resistivity Methods.Risk Analysis of Buried Wastes From Electricity.Generation.Groundwater Contamination from Runoff.Saline Seep.Groundwater Sampling Techniques for.Environmental Projects.Groundwater Sampling with Passive Diffusion.Samplers.Specific Capacity.Soil Water.Soil and Groundwater Geochemistry and Microbiology.Characterizing Soil Spatial Variability.Deep Soil-Water Movement.Specific Gravity.Hot Springs.Squeezing Water from Rock.Storage Coefficient.Qanats: An Ingenious Sustainable Groundwater Resource System.Lysimeters.Steady-State Flow Aquifer Tests.Tidal Efficiency.Combined Free and Porous Flow in the Subsurface.Groundwater Tracing.Hydraulic Conductivity/Transmissibility.Groundwater Flow and Transport Process.Reactive Transport in The Saturated Zone: Case Histories for Permeable Reactive Barriers.Transport of Reactive Solute in Soil and Groundwater.Water in The Unsaturated Zone.Groundwater and Vadose Zone Hydrology.Vadose Zone Monitoring Techniques.Vapor Transport in the Unsaturated Zone.Applications of Soil Vapor Data to Groundwater Investigations.Groundwater Velocities.Viscous Flow.Vulnerability Mapping of Groundwater Resources.Water/Rocks Interaction.Ground Water: Wells.Well Screens.Well TEST.Safe Yield of an Aquifer.Specific Yield Storage Equation.Microbial Processes Affecting Monitored Natural Attenuation of Contaminants in the Subsurface.Groundwater Vulnerability to Pesticides: Statistical Approaches.Groundwater-Nature's Hidden Treasure.Pharmaceuticals, Hormones, and Other Organic Wastewater Contaminants in U.S. Streams.The Environmental Impact of Iron in Groundwater.Groundwater and Cobalt: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Groundwater and Cadmium: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Groundwater Modeling.Groundwater and Benzene: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Groundwater and Nitrate: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Groundwater and Perchlorate: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Groundwater and Vinyl Chloride: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Groundwater and Uranium: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Groundwater and Mercury: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Groundwater and Lead: Chemical Behavior and Treatment.Laminar Flow.Finite Element Modeling of Coupled Free and Porous Flow.Unconfined Groundwater.Modeling of DNAPL Migration in Saturated Porous Media.The Use of Semipermeable Membrane Devices (SPMDs) for Monitoring, Exposure, and Toxicity Assessment.River-Connected Aquifers: Geophysics, Stratigraphy, Hydrogeology, and Geochemistry.Index.Cumulative Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736837 20160528
- Preface.Acknowledgments.Contributors.Domestic Water Supply.The Arsenic Drinking Water Crisis in Bangladesh.Bottled Water.Corrosion Control in Drinking Water Systems.Economics of Residential Water Demands.Gray Water Reuse in Households.Water and Human Health.Nitrate Health Effects.Domestic Water Supply-Public-Private Partnership.Methods of Reducing Radon in Drinking Water.Water Reuse.Roof Drainage Hydraulics.Septic Tank Systems.Domestic Solar Water Heaters.Household Drinking Water Treatment and Safe Storage.Virus Transport in the Subsurface.Windmills.Municipal Water Supply.Mixing and Agitation in Water Treatment Systems.Arsenic in Natural Waters.Evaluation of Microbial Components of Biofouling.Threat Agents and Water Biosecurity.Granular Activated Carbon.Competitive Adsorption of Several Organics and Heavy Metals on Activated Carbon in Water.A Real-Time Hydrological Information System for Cities.Chlorine and Chlorine Residuals.Modeling Chlorine Residuals in Urban Water Distribution Systems.Particulate Matter Removal by Coagulation.Selective Coagulant Recovery from Water Treatment Plant Residuals Using the Domain Membrane Process.Physical Water Conditioning.Consumer Confidence Reports.Water Conservation Measures.Preventing Well Contamination.Corrosion Control.Cross Connection and Backflow Prevention.Molecular-Based Detection of Cryptosporidium Parvum in Water.Cryptosporidium.Measuring Cryptosporidium Parvum Oocyst Inactivation Following Disinfection With Ultraviolet Light.Dechlorination.Desalination.Diatomaceous Earth Filtration for Drinking Water.Emerging Waterborne Infectious Diseases.Improving Waterborne Disease Surveillance.Disinfectants.Disinfection.Water Distribution System Operation.Water Quality in Distribution Systems.Design of Water Distribution Systems.What is in Our Drinking Water?The Economics of Water Resources Allocation.Answering the Challenge.Key Causes of Drinking Water Quality Failure in a Rural Small Water Supply of South Africa.Filtration.Water Filtration.Filtration With Granular Media.Slow Sand Filtration and the Impact of Schmutzdecke.Multistage Drinking Water Filtration.Multistage Filtration: An Innovative Water Treatment Technology.Particulate Matter Removal by Filtration and Sedimentation.Filtration Water Treatment.Synthetic and Natural Organic Removal by Biological Filtration.Granular Bed and Precoat Filtration.Flocculation.Fluoridation.Giardiasis.Gravity Separation/Sedimentation.Water Hammer.Health Effects of Commonly Occurring Disinfection Byproducts in Municipal Water Supplies.Health Effects of Microbial Contaminants and Biotoxins in Drinking Water.Drinking Water and Public Health Protection.1962 U.S. Public Health Service Standards.Ion Exchange and Demineralization.The State of the Water Industry-2004.Iron and Manganese Removal.Extraterritorial Land Use Control to Protect Water Supplies.Leak Detection and Water Loss Control.Lime-Soda Ash Processes.Lime Softening.Ion Exchange-Use of Magnetic Ion Exchange Resin For DOC Removal.Membrane Filtration.Water Meters.Microbiological Concerns of Drinking Water Distribution Systems.Nitrification of Potable Water Using Trickling Filters.Organic Removal.Ozone.Ozone With Activated Carbon for Drinking Water Treatment.Ozone-Bromide Interactions.Municipal Water Supply: Ozonation.Review of Parasite Fate and Transport in Karstic Aquifers.Particulate Removal.Pharmaceuticals in Water Systems.Point-of-Use/Point-of-Entry Systems (POU/POE).Assessing the Bactericidal Efficiency of Polydex for the Disinfection of Drinking Water in Rural Areas of South Africa.Private Sector Participation, Marketing and Corporate Strategies in Municipal Water Supply and Sewerage.Pumps.Radionuclides.Use of Redox Potentials in Wastewater Treatment.Repairing Distribution Line Breaks.Role of Small Water Reservoirs in Environment.Reservoirs, Towers, and Tanks Drinking Water Storage Facilities.Water Treatment Plant Residuals Management.Reverse Osmosis, Process Chemistry.Reverse Osmosis, Membrane Foulants.Reverse Osmosis, Membrane Cleaning.Application of Risk Assessments in Crafting Drinking Water Regulations.Potential Risks of Waterborne Transmission of Escherichia coli O157:H7.Slow Sand Filtration.Approaches for Securing a Water Distribution System.Water Security: An Emerging Issue.Guide to Selection of Water Treatment Processes.Source Water Assessment.Hydraulic Design of Water Distribution Storage Tanks.System Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA).Settling Tanks.Treatment for Technologies for Small Drinking Water Systems.Ultraviolet Disinfection.Ultraviolet Irradiation.Water Disinfection Using UV Radiation-A Sri Lankan Experience.Drinking Water Quality Standards (DWQS)-United States.Valves.Removal of Pathogenic Bacteria, Viruses, and Protozoa.Water Meter.Municipal Watersheds.Public Water Supply World.Ten Key Trends That Will Shape the Future of the World Water Industry.Zebra Mussel Control Without Chemicals.Package Plants.Anaerobic Sewage Treatment.Persistence of Pathogens in Water.Well Head Protection.Chemical Drinking Water Standards, Past, Present, and Future.Industrial Water.Magnetic Water Conditioning.Water Impacts from Construction Sites.Industrial Cooling Water-Biofouling.Industrial Cooling Water-Corrosion.Industrial Cooling Water-Scale Formation.Economics of Industrial Water Demands.Electric Generating Plants-Effects of Contaminants.Energy Dissipation.Water Use in Energy Production.Evaluation of Toxic Properties of Industrial Effluents by on-Line Respirometry.Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons.Hydrocarbon Treatment Techniques.Use of Anaerobic-Aerobic Treatment Systems for Maize Processing Plants.Bonding of Toxic Metal Ions.Application of Microfiltration to Industrial Wastewaters.Water Treatment in Spent Nuclear Fuel Storage.Industrial Mine Use: Mine Waste.Sugarcane Industry Wastewaters Treatment.Estimated Use of Water in The United States in 1990 Industrial Water Use.Waste Water Treatment.Aeration.Fine Bubble Diffused Air Aeration Systems.Air Stripping.Land Applications of Wastewater in Arid Lands: Theory and Case Studies.Technologies for Arsenic Removal from Contaminated Water Sources.Biochemical Oxygen Demand.Molecular Biology Tools for Monitoring Biodiversity in Wastewater Treatment Plants.Biosolids.Integrated Capacity Building Needs for Water Supply and Wastewater Sanitation.Wastewater Characterization.Chemically Enhanced Primary Treatment of Wastewater.Getting Our Clean Water Act Together.Inadequate Treatment of Wastewater: A Source of Coliform Bacteria in Receiving Surface Water Bodies in Developing Countries-Case Study: Eastern Cape Province of South Africa.Denitrification in The Activated Sludge Process.Detergents.Ecological Wastewater Management.Waste Treatment in Fish Farms.Flotation as A Separation Process.Degradation of Chloro-Organics and Hydrocarbons.Landfill.Landfill Leachates, Part I: Origin and Characterization.Landfill Leachates: Part 2: Treatment.Macrophytes as Biomonitors of Polychlorinated Biphenyls.Wastewater Management for Developing Countries.Mercury Removal From Complex Waste Waters.Metal Speciation and Mobility as Influenced by Landfill Disposal Practices.Microbial Foaming in the Activated Sludge Process.Introduction to Wastewater Modeling and Treatment Plant Design.Practical Applications of Wastewater Modeling and Treatment Plant Design.New York City Harbor Survey.Nitrification in the Activated Sludge Process.Effluent Limitations and the NPDES Permit.Odor Abatement in Wastewater Treatment Plants.Aqueous Reactions of Specific Organic Compounds with Ozone.The Fate of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) in The Wastewater Treatment Process.The Role of Organoclay in Water Cleanup.Combined Sewer Overflow Treatment.Biological Phosphorus Removal in the Activated Sludge Process.Photocatalytic Membrane Reactors in Water Purification.EPA's National Pretreatment Program, 1973-2003: Thirty Years of Protecting The Environment.Problems Encountered During Pipe Repair and Renewal.Radioactive Waste.Reclaimed Water.Wastewater Treatment and Recycling Technologies.Wastewater Treatment Processes and Water Reuse.Wastewater Reclamation and Reuse Research.Wastewater Reclamation and Reuse.Wastewater Reclamation and Reuse Treatment Technology.Sewage.Domestic Sewage.Solidification/Stabilization of Hazardous Solid Wastes.Wastewater Treatment-Small Scale.Microbial Foaming and Bulking in Activated Sludge Plants.Aqueous Behavior of Elements in a Flue Gas Desulfurization Sludge Disposal Site.Sludge Treatment and Disposal.Wastewater Sludge.Processing of Sludge.Municipal Storm Water Management.What Wastewater Utilities Can Do Now to Guard Against Terrorist and Security Threats.Wastewater Treatment Techniques-Advanced.Trenchless Repair and Rehabilitation Techniques.Basics of Underground Water and Sewer Pipeline Assessment, Repair, and Rehabilitation.Water Hammer: Quantitative Causes and Effects.Constructed Wetlands.Using Ecosystem Processes in a Constructed Wetland to Treat Mine Wastewater in Ireland.Water and Wastewater Properties and Characteristics.Anaerobic Wastewater Treatment.Sewerage Odors-How to Control.Ultrafiltration-Complexation in Wastewater Treatment.Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736875 20160528
- Preface.Contributors.Surface Water Hydrology.Acidification-Chronic.Episodic Acidification.Acidification of Freshwater Resources.Geochemistry of Acid Mine Drainage.The Aral Sea Disaster: Environment Issues and Nationalist Tensions.Lake Baikal-A Touchstone for Global Change and Rift Studies.Base Flow.River Basins.River Basin Planning and Coordination.Bioaccumulation.Biotic Integrity Index to Evaluate Water Resource Integrity in Freshwater Systems.Reversal of the Chicago River.Flood Control in the Yellow River Basin in China.Chironomids in Sediment Toxicity Testing.Cienega.Time-Area and The Clark Rainfall-Runoff Transformation.Stream Classification.Coastal Wetlands.Freshwater Colloids.Culvert Design.Dilution-Mixing Zones and Design Flows.Drainage Ditches.Drainage Networks.Dyes As Hydrological Tracers.Flow-duration Curves.Environmental Flows.Eutrophication (Excessive Fertilization).Cultural Eutrophication.Fish Cells in the Toxicological Evaluation of Environmental Contaminants.Fish Consumption Advisories.Fisheries: History, Science, and Management.Factors Affecting Fish Growth and Production.Water Needs for Freshwater Fisheries Management.An Outline of the History of Fishpond Culture in Silesia, the Western Part of Poland.Floods.Flood Control Structures.Floods as a Natural Hazard.Flood Source Mapping in Watersheds.Urban Flooding.Floodwater Spreading.Minimum Environmental Flow Regimes.Forensic Hydrogeology.Forests and Wetlands.Rock Glacier.Great Lakes.Greenhouse Gas Emissions From Hydroelectric Reservoirs.Gully Erosion.Potential Health Issues Associated With Blue-Green Algae Blooms in Impoundments, Ponds and Lakes.Heat Balance of Open Waterbodies.Hydraulics.Hydraulics of Pressurized Flow.Hydroelectric Power.Hydroelectric Reservoirs as Anthropogenic Sources of Greenhouse Gases.Hydrologic Persistence and The Hurst Phenomenon.Unit Hydrograph.Hydrological Processes and Measured Pollutant Loads.Hydrologic Thresholds.Ganga River, India.Interception.Kinematic Shock.Kinematic Wave Method For Storm Drainage Design.Kinematic Wave and Diffusion Wave Theories.Kinematic Wave Flow Routing.Reliability Concepts in Reservoir Design.Lakes.The Theory of Alternative Stable States in Shallow Lake Ecosystems.NOAA Lake Level Forecast for Lake Michigan Right on Target.Submerged Aquatic Plants Affect Water Quality in Lakes.Lakes-Discharges To.Lasers Scan Levees from the Air.Levees for Flood Protection.Limnology.Adsorption of Metal Ions On Bed Sediments.Microbiology of Lotic Aggregates and Biofilms.Microorganisms in Their Natural Environment.Calibration of Hydraulic Network Models.Numerical Modeling of Currents.Uncertainty Analysis in Watershed Modeling.Watershed Modeling.Modeling of Water Quality in Sewers.Modeling of Urban Drainage and Stormwater.Modeling Ungauged Watersheds.Corps Turned Niagara Falls Off, On Again.Open Channel Design.Organic Compounds and Trace Elements in Freshwater Streambed Sediment and Fish from the Puget Sound Basin.Impervious Cover-Paving Paradise.Phytoremediation By Constructed Wetlands.Unrecognized Pollutants.Pollution of Surface Waters.Pond Aquaculture-Modeling and Decision Support Systems.Pumping Stations.Regulated Rivers.Reservoirs-Multipurpose.Dam Removal as River Restoration.Riparian Systems.Rivers.River and Water Facts.Sediment Load Measurements.Sedimentation.Sedimentation and Flotation.Reservoir Sedimentation.Water from Saturated River Sediment-Sand Abstraction.Sediment Transport.Stochastic Simulation of Hydrosystems.Storage and Detention Facilities.Urban Stormwater Runoff Water Quality Issues.Rivers and Streams: One-Way Flow System.Streamflow.Water Quality in Suburban Watersheds.Surface Water Pollution.Surface Runoff and Subsurface Drainage.Trace Elements in Water, Sediment, and Aquatic Biota-Effects of Biology and Human Activity.Innovative Pens Hatch Thousands of Trout.Watershed.Combustible Watersheds.Time of Concentration and Travel Time in Watersheds.Watershed Hydrology.Watershed Management for Environmental Quality and Food Security.Water Hyacinth-The World's Most Problematic Weed.Water Quality in Ponds.Water Turbine.Wetlands: Uses, Functions, and Values.Wetlands Overview.Classification of Wetlands and Deepwater Habitats of the United States.Urban Runoff.Urban Water Studies.Subglacial Lake Vostok.Water-The Canadian Transporter.Flood Prevention.Effects of DDT in Surface Water on Bird Abundance and Reproduction-A History.Instream Flow Methods.Floodplain.Fish Passage Facilities.Fishing Waters.Land Surface Modeling.Agricultural Water.Animal Farming Operations: Groundwater Quality Issues.Aquaculture Technology for Producers.Biofuel Alternatives to Fossil Fuels.Soil Conservation.Landscape Water-Conservation Techniques.Crop Water Requirements.Agricultural Water Use Efficiency (WUE) and Productivity (WP).Large Area Surface Energy Balance Estimation Using Satellite Imagery.Soil Erosion and Control Practices.Water Table Contribution to Crop Evapotranspiration.Crop Evapotranspiration.Water Pollution From Fish Farms.World's Major Irrigation Areas.Irrigation in The United States.Irrigation Wells.Agriculture and Land Use Planning.Waterlogging.Water Quality Management in an Agricultural Landscape.Classification and Mapping of Agricultural Land for National Water-Quality Assessment.Metal Tolerance in Plants: The Roles of Thiol-Containing Peptides.Microirrigation.Microirrigation: An Approach to Efficient Irrigation.Plant and Microorganism Selection for Phytoremediation of Hydrocarbons and Metals.Nitrate Pollution Prevention.Nitrification.Occurrence of Organochlorine Pesticides in Vegetables Grown on Untreated Soils from an Agricultural Watershed.Pesticide Chemistry in the Environment.Remediation of Pesticide-Contaminated Soil at Agrichemical Facilities.Pesticide Occurrence and Distribution in Relation to Use.Assessment of Pollution Outflow From Large Agricultural Areas.Deep-Well Turbine Pumps.Microbial Quality of Reclaimed Irrigation: International Perspective.Soil Salinity.Maintaining Salt Balance on Irrigated Land.Salt Tolerance.Groundwater Assessment Using Soil Sampling Techniques.Skimmed Groundwater.Soil Moisture Measurement-Neutron.Soil N Management Impact on The Quality of Surface and Subsurface Water.Soil Phosphorus Availability and Its Impact on Surface Water Quality.Soil Water Issues.Water Spreading.Sprinkler Irrigation.Stomates.Crop Water Stress Detection Using Remote Sensing.Vacuum Gauge Tensiometer.Tile Drainage.Tile Drainage: Impacts, Plant Growth, and Water Table Levels.Measuring and Modeling Tree and Stand Level Transpiration.Water Logging: Topographic and Agricultural Impacts.Weed Control Strategies.Screen Filters for Microirrigation.Xeriscape.Media Filters for Microirrigation.Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736851 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Man's history is tied up in the hydrological cycle. Its chemical and physical attributes dramatically affect its movement and quality within its major reservoirs, our oceans and atmosphere. This volume deals with a myriad of finite features of these fascinating fields along with aspects of water tied up in man's culture and history from the beginning of recorded time.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736844 20160528
- The single greatest reservoir of usable water for man lies underground. Its location, management, protection and remediation have been a central focus of hydrology for much of the past century. Experts throughout the world have covered this subject, in unimagined detail. Ground water remains unseen but no longer unknown, and now amazingly well defined in every aspect of quality and quantity, development, protection and remediation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736837 20160528
- This volume deals with the big picture of regional water supplies, how they become contaminated, how they can be protected and how they can best serve the surrounding populations and industries. Significant focus is placed upon the natural chemistry of available water supplies and its biological impacts. Case studies from regions around the world offer an excellent picture of the world's water resources.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736868 20160528
- Leading experts in water-related fields have come together to make "Water Encyclopedia" a one-stop, comprehensive reference about the world's most important natural resource. It covers designated topics in a clear concise and authoritative manner. The treatment is practical in orientation, keeping in mind the needs of the users. Theory is included only where required for an understanding of the topic.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736875 20160528
- Maximizing the use of our visible surface supplies in light of their greatest need in agriculture presents an enormous challenge throughout the world. New techniques in agricultural applications to preserve resources and increase yields are featured. Dams, lakes, and hydraulic features of surface water systems are amply covered, along with the importance of storm water management to growing communities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471736851 20160528
- The Water Encyclopedia offers a comprehensive depository of all information relating to the scientific and technological aspects of the world's most important natural resource ---- water. The role of water in science, engineering and society requires a one--stop location to find whatever information is available on the cutting edge of the 21st century. This book is a resource for useful public domain data. Its focus is expert narrative on all water--related subjects.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471441649 20160528
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- Also available on the Internet.
- 0471441643 (cloth)
- 0471736872 (v. 1)
- 0471736864 (v. 2)
- 0471726856 (v. 3)
- 0471736848 (v. 4)
- 047173683X (v. 5)
- 9780471441649 (cloth)
- 9780471736875 (v. 1)
- 9780471736868 (v. 2)
- 9780471736844 (v. 4)
- 9780471736837 (v. 5)
- 0471736856 (v. 3)
- 9780471736851 (v. 3)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: