- Allan M. Pinkus.
- Cambridge [England] ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1989.
- Physical description
- x, 239 p. ; 24 cm.
- Cambridge tracts in mathematics 93
- Pinkus, Allan, 1946-
- Bibliography: p. -235.
- Preface-- 1. Preliminaries-- 2. Approximation from finite-dimensional subspaces of L1-- 3. Approximation from finite-dimensional subspaces in C1 (K, )-- 4. Unicity subspaces and property A-- 5. One-sided L1-approximation-- 6. Discrete lm1 - approximation-- 7. Algorithms-- Appendices-- References-- Author index-- Subject index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521366502 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This monograph is concerned with the qualitative theory of best L1-approximation from finite-dimensional subspaces. It presents a survey of recent research that extends 'classical' results concerned with best uniform approximation to the L1 case. The work is organized in such a way as to be useful for self-study or as a text for advanced courses. It begins with a basic introduction to the concepts of approximation theory before addressing one- or two-sided best approximation from finite-dimensional subspaces and approaches to the computation of these. At the end of each chapter is a series of exercises; these give the reader an opportunity to test understanding and also contain some theoretical digressions and extensions of the text.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521366502 20160528
- Publication date
- On t.p. 1 is superscript.
- Includes indexes.
- Mathematics & Statistics Library copy 2: Prof. Gene Golub Library, autographed by author.
Browse related items
Start at call number: