Tending the wild : Native American knowledge and the management of California's natural resources
- M. Kat Anderson.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2005.
- Physical description
- xxix, 526 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
At the library
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|E78 .C15 A676 2005||Unknown|
- Anderson, Kat, 1955-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- PART I. CALIFORNIA AT CONTACT /
- 1. Wildlife, Plants, and People /
- 2. Gathering, Hunting, and Fishing /
- 3. The Collision of Worlds PART II. INDIGENOUS LAND MANAGEMENT AND ITS ECOLOGICAL BASIS /
- 4. Methods of Caring for the Land /
- 5. Landscapes of Stewardship /
- 6. Basketry: Cultivating Herbs, Sedges, Grasses, and Tules /
- 7. From Arrows to Weirs: Cultivating Shrubs and Trees /
- 8. California's Comucopia: A Calculated Abundance /
- 9. Plant Foods Aboveground: Seeds, Grains, Leaves, and Fleshy Fruits /
- 10. Plant Foods Belowground: Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes, Tubers, and Taproots PART III. REKINDLING THE OLD WAYS /
- 11. Contemporary California Indian Harvesting and Management Practices /
- 12. Restoring Landscapes with Native Knowledge / Coda: Indigenous Wisdom in the Modern World.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
John Muir was an early proponent of a view we still hold today - that much of California was pristine, untouched wilderness before the arrival of Europeans. But as this groundbreaking book demonstrates, what Muir was really seeing, when he admired the grand vistas of Yosemite and the gold and purple flowers carpeting the Central Valley, were the fertile gardens of the Sierra Miwok and Valley Yokuts Indians, modified and made productive by centuries of harvesting, tilling, sowing, pruning, and burning. Marvellously detailed and beautifully written, "Tending the Wild" is an unparalled examination of Native American knowledge and uses of California's natural resources that reshapes our understanding of native cultures, and shows how we might begin to use their knowledge in our own conservation efforts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- 0520238567 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780520238565 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0520248511 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 9780520248519 (pbk : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: