Coastal lagoons : ecosystem processes and modeling for sustainable use and development
- edited by I. Ethem Gönenç, John Wolflin.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, c2005.
- Physical description
- 500 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
Marine Biology Library (Miller)
|QH541.5 .C65 C5915 2005||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Coastal Lagoons: Ecosystem Processes and Modeling for Sustainable Use and Development describes the concepts, models, and data needed to design and implement management programs for long-term sustainability of coastal lagoons. Based on a project conducted under the auspices of NATO-CCMS, the book provides information and methodologies essential for selecting the most appropriate solution for a targeted lagoon environment, highlights issues that must be taken into account for optimal evaluation, and illustrates what short- and long-term changes that can be expected from the application of models presented. This book is a valuable tool for managers designing a sound, ecosystem oriented, model-based sustainable development solution.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781566706865 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- An effective decision-making process that will consider the hydrodynamic and ecological conditions of coastal lagoons is critical for handling development and protection of these sensitive ecosystems. In the first book of its kind, "Coastal Lagoons: Ecosystem Processes and Modeling for Sustainable Use and Development" describes the concepts, models, and data needed to design and implement sustainable management programs for the long-term sustainability of coastal lagoons. Based on a project conducted under the auspices of NATO-CCMS (North Atlantic Treaty Organization - Committee on the Challenges of Modern Society), the authors show that by understanding the physical, biogeochemical, and ecological processes and the impact of human land and water uses, policies can be designed and implemented to allow for balanced and sustainable coastal lagoon management. The authors use case studies from their own experience and step-by-step methodologies that illustrate what short- and long-term changes can be expected, based on nutrient inputs and water renewal rates. By integrating science and management, this book emphasizes the basic processes and criteria to be considered in any modeling task, thus creating a framework for adaptive management and sustainability. Conceptual illustrations and tables with equations, rates, and coefficients used in major processes are presented. "Coastal Lagoons: Ecosystem Processes and Modeling for Sustainable Use and Development" is a valuable tool for managers designing a sound, ecosystem-oriented, model-based sustainable development solution to resource management.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781566706865 20160528
- Publication date
- 1566706866 (alk. paper)
- 9781566706865 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: