The potter's dictionary of materials and techniques
- Frank and Janet Hamer.
- 5th ed.
- London : A&C Black ; Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004.
- Physical description
- ix, 437 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 28 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 420-421).
- Publisher's Summary
- Now available in its fifth edition, The Potter's Dictionary of Materials and Techniques presents a comprehensive survey of all aspects of making ceramics for craft potters and ceramic artists. With its sound, practical explanations of ceramic processes, this indispensable reference book has gained a reputation as "the potter's bible." Professional potters, beginners, students, and collectors will find authoritative information clearly and logically presented. Frank and Janet Hamer explain the sources and character of materials, the behavior of clays and glaze minerals during forming and firing processes, forming methods, and glaze construction. In addition to brief outlines and detailed articles with cross references to illustrations, color photographs illustrate glaze effects and surfaces featured in the work of inventive, contemporary potters. The varied techniques of Raku, maiolica, crystalline glazes, salt and soda, stoneware, and porcelain are also presented in a new color section. This new edition has been updated to include auto-reduction, crystalline glazes, insulation, stains, and specialized firing and fuming techniques. With upwards of 800 illustrations to clarify everything in the ceramic world, in its fifth edition The Potter's Dictionary of Materials and Techniques will continue to serve as the authority on all things ceramic.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780812238105 20160528
- The updated version of our comprehensive dictionary, covering all the terminology, materials and techniques for potters. It clearly and logically presents the potter with information on everything; the sources and character of materials, the behaviour of clays and glazes, forming methods and firing processes. This new edition covers recent developments, expands on previous subjects, and brings old entries up to date. New colour sections cover raku, maiolica, crystalline glazes, salt and soda, stoneware and porcelain, including graphs and diagrams where helpful. In short, the essential explanation of everything in the ceramic world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780713664089 20160528
- Publication date
- 0812238109 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780812238105 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0713664088 (British ed.)
- 9780713664089 (British ed.)