Encyclopedia of rape
- edited by Merril D. Smith.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2004.
- Physical description
- xxvii, 301 p. ; 26 cm.
- Smith, Merril D., 1956-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -276) and index.
- Preface-- Introduction-- Chronology-- List of Entries-- Encyclopedia-- Resource Guide-- Appendix: List of Entries by Topic-- Index-- About the Author and Contributors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313326875 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Rape has been perpetrated throughout history and worldwide. The Encyclopedia of Rape offers 185 entries in an A-to-Z essay format covering the historical scope and magnitude of the issue. Written by a host of scholars from diverse fields, it provides informed perspectives on the key dimensions of the topic, from concepts, social movements, offenders, high-profile cases, legislation, influential activists, landmark texts, and victimology to representations in literature and art. This will allow students and the general reader to contextualize current events with reference to history, literature and the Bible, film, art history, gender studies, psychology, criminology, popular culture, and more. Rape is a topic of perpetual relevance and remains deeply controversial. Although women are the primary targets of rape and thus the focus of discussion, the rape of men, children, and animals is also considered in the encyclopedia. Up-to-date, it contains insight on the manifestations of rape today, including as a tool of ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and genocide in Rwanda, the Catholic priest scandals, and drug-facilitated date rape. Added value comes from an abundance of statistics, suggested reading for further research per entry, chronology, resource guide, and appendix listing entries by topic. Covers all aspects of rape Addresses current issues, such as rapes by the U.S. military and the clergy Has worldwide coverage and a broad historical scope Edited by a recognized name in rape studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313326875 20160528
- Publication date
- 0313326878 (alk. paper)
- 9780313326875 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: