Encyclopedia of Black studies
- editors, Molefi Kete Asante, Ama Mazama.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : SAGE Publications, c2005.
- Physical description
- xxxii, 531 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 491-506) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- "The Encyclopedia of Black Studies" will be the leading reference source for dynamic and innovative research on the Black Experience. The concept for the encyclopedia was developed from the successful "Journal of Black Studies" and contains a full analysis of the economic, political, sociological, historical, literary and philosophical issues related to Americans of African descent. The content is considered at the forefront of the recent explosive growth in quality scholarship in the field. More than a chronicle of black culture or black people, this encyclopedia deals with the emergence and maturity of an intellectual field over the past four decades.Beginning with the protests at San Francisco State College in 1967 that led to the first degree-granting department of Black Studies, the field's rapid growth over time necessitates an authoritative account of the discipline. More than ever scholars and students need a clear conception of what the evolutionary processes have been in the creation and maintenance of the discipline. It includes over 240 signed articles by nearly 200 scholars, organized A to Z, with coverage spanning the social sciences. It is edited by the founder and current editor of the "Journal of Black Studies". The Reader's Guide facilitates browsing by topic and easy access to information.This work contains: numerous illustrative charts, sidebars, and historical photographs; appendices with listings of doctoral granting programs, major journals in the field, and professional and scholarly associations. The master bibliography covers such topics as: Afrocentricity; annual conferences; anti-racism; arts; associations and organizations; books; campus politics; civil rights; classical Africa; concepts; culture; departmental histories; films; intellectual schools; institutions; journals; legal issues; movements; newspapers; political issues; professional organizations; publishers; racism; religion; reparations; research centers; resistance; theories; and, United States constitution.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761927624 20160528
- Publication date
- "A Sage reference publication".
- 076192762X (cloth edition)
- 9780761927624 (cloth edition)
Browse related items
Start at call number: