Ripples of hope : great American civil rights speeches
- edited by Josh Gottheimer ; foreword by Bill Clinton ; afterword by Mary Frances Berry.
- New York : Basic Civitas Books, 2003.
- Physical description
- xli, 502 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Gottheimer, Josh.
- Publisher's Summary
- The first collection of American civil rights speeches-including a never-before-published speech by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.-from the entire range of U.S. history.. Ripples of Hope brings together the most influential and important civil rights speeches from the entire range of American history-from the colonial period to the present. Gathered from the great speeches of the civil rights movement of African Americans, Asian Americans, gays, Hispanic Americans, and women, Ripples of Hope includes voices as diverse as Sister Souljah, Spark Matsui, and Harvey Milk, which, taken as a whole, constitute a unique chronicle of the modern civil rights movement.Featuring a foreword by President Bill Clinton and an afterword by Mary Frances Berry, this collection represents not just a historical first but also an indispensable resource for readers searching for an alternative history of American rhetoric. Edited and with an introduction by former Clinton speechwriter Josh Gottheimer, the stirring speeches that make up this volume provide an important perspective on our nation's development, and will inform the future debate on civil rights.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780465027521 20160528
- Minorities > Civil rights > United States > History > Sources.
- Civil rights movements > United States > History > Sources.
- Civil rights > United States > History > Sources.
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American.
- United States > Race relations > Sources.
- United States > Ethnic relations > Sources.
- United States > Social conditions > Sources.
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- 0465027520 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780465027521 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: