An excerpt from John Steinbeck's Cannery row
- Peter & Donna Thomas.
- Santa Cruz : Peter & Donna Thomas, 2003.
- Physical description
- 14 leaves : color illustrations ; 7 cm + 1 tin can (5 cm tall x 9 cm diameter)
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
Z239 .T455 C35 2003
Note: Copy 1; Copy 1 and Copy 2 are housed together.
Z239 .T455 C35 2003
Note: Copy 2; Copy 1 and 2 are housed together.
- Peter & Donna Thomas (Firm) publisher.
- "This can contains a book that was letterpress printed and hand bound, and reproduces, in full, the opening paragraph of Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. It is illustrated with eight watercolor paintings by Donna Thomas. There are only 100 copies of this book, and to see it, the can must be opened. Please be careful not to injure yourself on the tin while removing the book. ..."--Label on can.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- John Steinbeck's Cannery row : a book in a tin
- Cannery row : a book in a tin
- Title from title page of book inside can.
- Title on label of can: John Steinbeck's Cannery row : a book in a tin.
- Illustrated by Donna Thomas; paper made by Peter Thomas.
- "100 copies. Illustrated by Donna Thomas. The text is from Cannery Row, ©1945, by John Steinbeck and is used by permission of Viking Penguin Books. Letterpress & laser printed using Peter's handmade paper."--Colophon.
- Publication consists of a book of round pages in accordion-fold format attached to metal boards, inside a round tin can. Top cover has paper onlay consisting of a color illustration with title.
- Action note
- Cons. Trans. #2103 (c.1 & c.2).
- Special Collections & University Archives copy 1: No. 63. Can unopened.
- Special Collections & University Archives copy 2: No. 77. Can opened revealing book inside.
- Related Work
- Steinbeck, John, 1902-1968. Cannery Row.
- United States -- California -- Santa Cruz.
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: