The Blackwell companion to Hinduism
- edited by Gavin Flood.
- Malden, MA : Blackwell Pub., 2003.
- Physical description
- xiii, 599 p. ; 25 cm.
- Blackwell companions to religion.
- Flood, Gavin D., 1954-
- List of Contributors. Preface.Introduction: Establishing the Boundaries: Gavin Flood.Part I: Theoretical Issues:1. Colonialism and the Construction of Hinduism: Gauri Visvanathan.2. Orientalism and Hinduism: David Smith.Part II: Text and Tradition:The Sanskrit Textual Traditions:3. Vedas and Upanisads: Michael Witzel.4. The Dharmauastras: Ludo Rocher.5. The Sanskrit Epics: John Brockington.6. The Puranas: Freda Matchett.Textual Traditions in Regional Languages:7. Tamil Hindu Literature: Norman Cutler.8. The Literature of Hinduism in Malayalam: Rich Freeman.9. North Indian Hindi Devotional Literature: Nancy M. Martin.Major Historical Developments:10. The Uaiva Traditions: Gavin Flood.11. History of Vaisnava Traditions: Gerard Colas.12. The Renouncer Tradition: Patrick Olivelle.13. The Householder Tradition in Hindu Society: T.N. Madan.Regional Traditions:14. The Teyyam Tradition of Kerala: Rich Freeman.15. The Month of Kartik And Women's Ritual Devotions to Krsna in Benares: Tracy Pinchman.Part III: Systematic Thought:The Indian Sciences: Introduction: Frits Staal.16. The Science of Language: Frits Staal. 17. Indian Mathematics: Takao Hayashi.18. Calendar, Astrology and Astronomy: Michio Yano.19. The Science of Medicine: Dominik Wujastyk.Philosophy and Theology:20. Hinduism and the Proper Work of Reason: Jonardon Ganeri.21. Restoring "Hindu Theology" as a Category in Indian Intellectual Discourse: Francis Clooney.22. Mantra: Andre Padoux.Part IV: Society, Politics, and Nation:23. On the Relationship between Caste and Hinduism: Declan Quigley.24. Modernity, Reform and Revival: Dermot Killingley.25. Contemporary Political Hinduism: C. Ram Prasad26. The Goddess and the Nation: Subterfuges of Antiquity, the Cunning of Modernity: Sumathi Ramaswamy.27. Gender in a Devotional Universe: Vasudha Narayanan.Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780631215356 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume presents the most recent scholarly thinking about Hinduism in an accessible way. It provides a forum for the best scholars in the world to make their views and research available to a wider audience. While comprehensively covering the textual traditions of Hinduism, the volume also includes material on Hindu folk religions and stresses the importance of region in analyzing Hinduism. In doing so, it reflects the current move away from essentialist understandings of Hinduism and towards traditionally and regionally specific studies. The Companion as a whole spans the entire field of Hindu studies and is divided into four coherent sections: theoretical issues, textual traditions, theologies, and Hindu society and politics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780631215356 20160528
- Publication date
- Blackwell companions to religion
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 0631215352 (alk. paper)
- 9780631215356 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: