Shoveling smoke : advertising and globalization in contemporary India
- William Mazzarella.
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2003.
- Physical description
- xi, 364 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Mazzarella, William, 1969-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -349) and index.
- Introduction1. Locations: Advertising and the new Swadeshi--
- 2. Elaborations: The commodity imagePart I3. Citizens have sex, consumers make love: KamaSutra I--
- 4. The aesthetic politics of aspiration: KamaSutraIIPart II5. Bombay global: Mobility and locality I--
- 6. Bombay local: Mobility and locality IIPart III7. Indian fun: Constructing "the Indian consumer" I--
- 8. Close distance: Constructing "the Indian consumer" II.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
A leading Bombay advertising agency justifies as traditionally Indian the highly eroticized images it produces to promote the KamaSutra condom brand. Another agency struggles to reconcile the global ambitions of a cellular phone service provider with the ambivalently local connotations of the client's corporate brand. When the dream of the 250 million-strong 'Indian middle class' goes sour, Indian advertising and marketing professionals search for new ways to market 'the Indian consumer' - now with added cultural difference - to multinational clients. An examination of the complex cultural politics of mass consumerism in a globalised marketplace, "Shoveling Smoke" is a path-breaking and detailed ethnography of the contemporary Indian advertising industry. It is also a critical and innovative intervention into current theoretical debates on the intersection of consumerist globalization, aesthetic politics and visual culture. William Mazzarella traces the rise in India, during the 1980s of mass consumption, as a self-consciously sensuous challenge to the austerities of state-led developmentalism. He shows how the decisive opening of Indian markets to foreign brands in the 1990s refigured established models of the relationship between the local and the global and, ironically, turned advertising professionals into custodians of cultural integrity.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0822331098 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0822331454 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780822331094 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780822331452 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: