Extracts from Eve's diary ; Extracts from Adam's diary
- translated from the original by Mark Twain ; visual design by Charles Hobson.
- Uniform Title
- Extracts from Adam's diary. Selections
- [San Francisco] : Pacific Editions, 2003.
- Physical description
- 17, 17 p. : col. ill. ; 34 cm.
At the library
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|N7433.4 .H63 T83 2003 F||In-library use|
- Included Work
- Twain, Mark, 1835-1910. Eve's diary. Selections.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Extracts from Adam's diary
- Adam & Eve
- Title in afterword: Excerpts from the diaries of Adam and Eve
- Title in colophon: Excerpts from the diaries of Adam & Eve
- Parallel texts, each opening accordion style. Each accordion glued into one side of a case binding. Black cloth spine and red, green & black printed paper sides. Issued in grey cloth-covered slipcase, with ill. mounted on 1 side.
- "Made as a limited edition of 38 copies during the summer of 2003. The images of a running man and woman created as pastel monotypes are printed as digital pigment prints and are based on the human motion studies by Eadweard Muybridge made in 1901. The separate print entitled "Adam & Eve Embracing" contains the handwriting of Livy Twain in a letter to Mark Twain written August 5, 1903. The concertina and French door structure with cut-out pages and collaged folded sheets has been designed by Charles Hobson and assembled with the assistance of Alice Shaw. John DeMerritt made the board covers and slipcase"--Colophon.
- The text on the outside spine of the concertina is taken from Genesis, chapter 2.
- "The handwriting on the [inside] spine of the concertina for Eve's diary are from Livy's letter dated August 5, 1903 ... The spine of the Adam's diary carries words from Mark Twain's letter to Livy's "sickroom" written on January 25, 1903 ... The string of handwriting on the folded images in Adam's diary is from his Valentine letter to Livy of February 14, 1903 ... "--Acknowledgements.
- Accompanied by: Some hints for looking at Adam & Eve (1 sheet : ill. ; 28 cm.).
- Special Collections and University Archives copy 1: No. 17/38, signed by Hobson.
- Included Work
- Eve's diary.
Browse related items
Start at call number: