The history of Japanese photography
- New Haven : Yale University Press in association with the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, c2003.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 405 p. : chiefly ill. (some col.), map ; 32 cm.
TR105 .H57 2003 F
- Unknown TR105 .H57 2003 F
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 386-389) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Over the past 150 years, Japanese photographers have created an impressive body of work that ranges from dignified imperial photographs to sweeping urban panoramas, from early ethereal landscapes to modern urban mysteries. Despite the richness, significance and variety of this work, however, it has largely been neglected in Western histories of photography. This is a comprehensive account of Japanese photography from its inception in the mid-19th century to the early 21st century, designed to reveal to English-speaking audiences the importance and beauty of this art form. Written by a team of Japanese and Western scholars, the volume establishes that photography began to play a vital role in Japanese culture soon after its introduction to Japan in the 1850s. Illustrated essays discuss the medium's evolution and aesthetic shifts in relation to the nation's historical and cultural developments; the interaction of Japanese photographers with Western photographers; the link between photography and other Japanese art forms; and photography as a record and catalyst of change. Illustrated with duotone and colour images, the work emphasizes not only the unique features of Japanese photography but also the ways it has influenced and been influenced by the country's culture and society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Anne Wilkes Tucker ... [et al.] ; with essays by Iizawa Kōtarō, Kinoshita Naoyuki ; edited and translated by John Junkerman ; executive coordinator, Ishiwata Maya ; coordinators for the Japan Foundation, Imai Rie, Kuriyama Masayuki.
- "The History of Japanese Photography exhibition has been organized by the Japan Foundation and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston."--T.p. verso.
- 9780300099256 (cloth)
- 0890901120 (pbk.)
- 9780890901120 (pbk.)