A history of the human community : prehistory to the present
- William H. McNeill.
- 5th ed.
- Upper Saddle River, N.J. : Prentice Hall, c1997.
- Physical description
- xvi, 715 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|D20 .M485 1997||Unknown|
- McNeill, William Hardy, 1917-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- VOLUME I Timelines. I. BEGINNINGS. 1. In the Beginning. 2. River Valley Civilizations: 3500 to 1500 B.C. 3. The Rise of Civilizations on Rain-Watered Land: 2000 to 1200 B.C. Illustrated Essay: The Use of Plants and Animals in Agriculture. 4. Empire and Religion in the Middle East: 1200 to 500 B.C. 5. The Greek Style of Civilization: to 500 B.C.E. 6. The Indian Style of Civilization: to 500 B.C.E. 7. The Chinese Style of Civilization: to 200 B.C.E. Epilogue: Part I - The State of the World: 500 B.C. II. EURASIAN CULTURAL BALANCE: 500 B.C.E. TO A.D. 1500. 8. The Classical Mediterranean World and Its Expansion: 500 B.C.E. to 200 C.E. 9. Civilized Religions and Barbarian Invasions: 200 B.C.E. to 600 C.E. 10. Islam and India: 600 to 1200. 11. The Far East and the Americas: 600 to 1200. 12. Europe: 500 to 1200. Illustrated Essay: Diseases and Their Effects on Human Societies. 13. Steppe Peoples and the Civilizations of Eurasia: 1200 to 1500. 14. Western Europe: 1200 to 1500. Epilogue: Part II: The State of the World: 1500. VOLUME TWO Timelines. III. THE FAR WEST CHALLENGES THE WORLD: 1500 TO 1850. 15. The Great European Discoveries: 1480 to 1550. 16. Europe's Self-Transformation: 1500 to 1650. 17. The World Beyond Europe: 1500 to 1700. 18. Europe's Old Regime: 1650 to 1789. 19. World Reactions to Europe's Expansion: 1700 to 1850. 20. The Democratic and Industrial Revolutions: 1776 to 1850. Illustrated Essay: Breakthroughs in the Use of Energy and Fuel. Epilogue: Part III: The State of the World: 1850. IV. BEGINNINGS OF WORLD COSMOPOLITANISM: FROM 1850. 21. The Decisive Years: 1850 to 1865. 22. Europe: 1850 to 1914. 23. World Reactions to Europe's Achievements: 1850 to 1914. Illustrated Essay: Transportation and Communication. 24. World Wars of the Twentieth Century: 1914 to 1945. Illustrated Essay: World Views. 25. The World Since 1945: Public Affairs. 26. Thought and Culture: 1914 to the Present. Epilogue: Part IV: The State of the World Today. Photo Credits. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- For courses in World History. An intellectually and stylistically unified overview of world history, this text draws a global portrait of the human past - showing how each part of the world fits into the overall balance in each successive age.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- World history.
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: