Integrated photonics : fundamentals
- Ginés Lifante.
- Hoboken, NJ : J. Wiley, 2003.
- Physical description
- ix, 184 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Lifante, Ginés.
- Preface. About the Author. Introduction to Integrated Photonics. Review of the Electromagnetic Theory of Light. Theory of Integrated Optic Waveguides. Coupled Mode Theory: Waveguide Gratings. Light Propagation in Waveguides: The Beam Propagation Method. Note. References. Further Reading.
- Appendix 1: Complex Notation of the Electric and Magnetic Fields.
- Appendix 2: Phase Shifts for TE and TM Incidence.
- Appendix 3: Marcatili's Method for Solving Guided Modes in Rectangular Channel Waveguides.
- Appendix 4: Demonstration of Formula (4.3).
- Appendix 5: Derivation of Formula (4.4).
- Appendix 6: Fast Fourier Algorithm.
- Appendix 7: Implementation of the Crank--Nicolson Propagation Scheme.
- Appendix 8: List of Abbreviations.
- Appendix 9: Some Useful Physical Constants. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
All integrated optical components and devices make use of "waveguides", where light is confined by total internal reflection. The elements in such "photonic chip" are interconnected through waveguides, and also the integrated optics components themselves are fabricated using waveguide configuration, such as couplers, switches, modulators, multiplexors, amplifiers and lasers, etc. These components are integrated in a single substrate, thus resulting in a compact and robust photonic device, which can be optically connected through optical fibres. With and increase in the number of integrated optical components and devices emerging from the research laboratories to the market place an up-to-date book is essential in collecting, summarizing and presenting the new developed photonic devices. This includes fundamental aspects, technical aspects (such as fabrication techniques and materials) and characterisation and performance. This is an advanced text aimed at specialists in the field of photonics, but who may be new to the field of integrated photonics. The fundamental aspects have been carefully considered, and all the topics covered by the book start at a medium level, making it highly relevant for undergraduate and post-graduate students following this discipline.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: