Earthly paradises : ancient gardens in history and archaeology
- Maureen Carroll.
- London : British Museum Press, 2003.
- Physical description
- 144 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 22 cm.
- Carroll-Spillecke, Maureen, 1953-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1: Ancient gardens and the evidence
- 2: Utilitarian and ornamental house gardens
- 3: Orchards, groves and parks
- 4: Sacred gardens
- 5: Gardens of the dead
- 6: Gardeners and gardening
- 7: Plants of the ancient world
- 8: Gardens in ancient poetry
- 9: Gardens and paradises Conclusion Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Archaeology can reveal the remains of gardens that were never mentioned in written sources, particularly those that did not belong to the rich or famous; this book examines the most recent evidence from 1000 BC to 500 AD in the cultures of the ancient Near East, Egypt, Greece, Italy and the provinces of the Roman Empire. This study brings together archaeological and literary evidence surrounding ancient gardens and also examines the tasks and role of gardeners; at the same time assessing the evidence for various types of plants and trees, and for ancient horticultural practices, .
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 071412768X : £14.99
Browse related items
Start at call number: