Performance : critical concepts in literary and cultural studies
- edited by Philip Auslander.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2003.
- Physical description
- 4 v. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Auslander, Philip, 1956-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Volume I Part I. Foundations and Definitions Section 1.1 Foundational Texts and Concepts 1. Arnold Van Gennep, 'The Territorial Passage' in The Rites of Passage, Monika B.Vizedom and Gabrielle L.Caffee, trans., pp. 15-25 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press 1960 [1908?]) 2. Johan Huizinga, 'Nature and Significance of Play as a Cultural Phenomenon', in Homo Ludens:A Study in the Play-Element of Culture, pp. 1-27 (Boston: Beacon Press, 1955 ) 3. Milton Singer, 'Search for a Great Tradition in Cultural Performances', in When a Great Tradition Modernizes, pp. 67-80 (New York: Praeger, 1972) 4. Kenneth Burke, Ritual Drama as 'Hub', in The Philosophy of Literary Form: Studies in Symbolic Action, pp. 87-113 (New York: Vintage Books, 1957) 5. J.L.Austin, 'Lecture I' in How to Do Things with Words, 2nd Ed., J.O.Urmson and Marina Sbisa, eds., pp. 1-11(Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1975) 6. Erving Goffman, 'Introduction', in The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life, pp. 1-16 (New York: Doubleday, 1959) Section 1.2 Definitions, Distinctions, and Debates 7. Bert O.States, 'Performance as Metaphor', Theatre Journal, 48, 1, pp. 1-26, 1996 8. Grahame F.Thompson, Approaches to 'Performance', Screen, 26,5, pp. 78-90, 1985 9. Janelle Reinelt, 'The Politics of Discourse: Performativity Meets Theatricality', Substance, 31,1 & 2, 2002 10. Jon McKenzie, 'Virtual Reality: Performance, Immersion, and the Thaw', TDR: The Journal of Performance Studies, 38,4, pp. 83-106, 1994 Section 1.3 Disciplinary Actions 11. Clifford Geertz, 'Blurred Genres: The Refiguration of Social Thought', The American Scholar, 49, pp. 165-179, 1979 12. Sheldon L., Messinger, Harold Sampson, Robert D.Towne, 'Life as Theater: Some Notes on the Dramaturgic Approach to Social Reality', Sociometry 25,1, pp. 98-110, 1962 13. Ronald J.Pelias and James VanOosting, 'A Paradigm for Performance Studies', Quarterly Journal of Speech, 73,2, pp. 219-231, 1987 14. Elizabeth Bell, 'Performance Studies as Women's Work: Historical Sights/Sites/Citations from the Margin', Text and Performance Quarterly, 13,4, pp. 350-374, 1993 Part II: Elements and Circumstances of Performance 15. Richard Schechner, 'Performers and Spectators Transported and Transformed', The Kenyon Review, New Series, 3,4, pp. 83-113, 1981 16. Freddie Rokem, 'Theatrical and Transgressive Energies', Assaph, 15, pp. 19-38, 1999 17. Michael Kirby, 'On Acting and Not-Acting', The Drama Review, 16,1, pp. 3-15, 1972 18. John O. Thompson, 'Screen Acting and the Commutation Test', Screen, 19,2, pp. 55-69, 1978 19. Peter Middleton, 'Poetry's Oral Stage', in Salim Kemal and Ivan Gaskell, eds., .
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415255110 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Over the past twenty years, 'Performance' has emerged as a central analytical and critical concept. Now the focus of a burgeoning academic discipline, Performance Studies, it is also crucial to many other fields, including anthropology, sociology, communications, art history, cultural studies, linguistics and rhetoric. This collection brings together major texts articulating perspectives on performance and performativity. The multi-disciplinary approach of this collection reflects the growing importance of the concept of performance across a variety of disciplines. With a new introduction contextualising the concept's rise, and a full index to guide the reader through the work, this will be an invaluable reference tool for students and researchers alike.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415255110 20160528
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Performancd : critical concepts
- 0415255112 (set : alk. paper)
- 0415255120 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0415255139 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 0415255147 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 0415255155 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
- 9780415255110 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780415255127 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780415255134 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780415255141 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 9780415255158 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: