A companion to the philosophy of education
- edited by Randall Curren.
- Malden, MA : Blackwell, c2003.
- Physical description
- xvii, 638 p. ; 25 cm.
- Blackwell companions to philosophy ; 27.
Philosophy Library (Tanner)
|B72 .B565 1991 V.27||In-library use|
- Curren, Randall R.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors.Preface. Introduction. (Randall Curren)Part I: Historical And Contemporary Movements.1. The Socratic Movement. (C. D. C. Reeve)2. Stoicism. (Christopher Gill)3. The Judaic tradition. (Hanan A. Alexander and Shmuel Glick)4. The Educational Thought of Augustine. (Gareth B. Matthews)5. Humanism. (Craig Kallendorf)6. Enlightenment Liberalism. (Amy M. Schmitter , Nathan Tarcov, and Wendy Donner)7. Rousseau, Dewey and Democracy. (Patrick Riley and Jennifer Welchman) 8. Kant, Hegel and the Rise of Pedagogical Science. (G. Felicitas Munzel)9. Romanticism. (Frederick C. Beiser)10. The Past as Future? Hellenism, the Gymnasium and Altertumswissenschaft. (Wolfgang Mann)11. Critical Theory. (Douglas Kellner)12. The Analytical Movement. (Randall Curren, Emily Robertson and Paul Hager)13. Feminism. (Jane Roland Martin)14. Postmodernism. (David E. Cooper)Part II: Teaching And Learning.15. The Nature and Purposes of Education. (Paul Standish) 16. Theories of teaching and learning. (D. C. Phillips)17. The Capacity to Learn. (Carol Wren and Thomas Wren)18. Motivation and Classroom Management. (Richard Ryan and Martin Lynch)19. The Measurement of Learning. (Andrew Davis)20. Knowledge, Truth and Learning. (Jonathan E. Adler)21. Cultivating Reason. (Harvey Siegel)22. Moral Education. (Graham Haydon)23. Religious Education. (Gabriel Moran)24. Teaching Science. (Michael R. Matthews)25. Teaching Elementary Arithmetic Through Applications. (Mark Steiner)26. Aesthetics and the Educative Powers of Art. (Noel Carroll)27. Teaching Literature. (Richard Smithm)Part III: The Politics And Ethics Of Schooling.28. The Authority and Responsibility to Educate. (Amy Gutmann)29. Church, State and Education.(William Galston)30. Common Schooling and Educational Choice. (Rob Reich)31. Children's Rights. (James Dwyer)32. Education and Standards of Living. (Christian Barry)33. Educational Equality and Justice. (Harry Brighouse)34. Multicultural Education. (Robert K. Fullinwider)35. Education and the Politics of Identity. (Yael Tamir)36. The Ethics of Teaching. (Kenneth A. Strike)37. Inclusion and Justice in Special Education. (Robert F. Ladenson)38. Sex Education. (David Archard)Part IV: Higher Education.39. Ethics and the Aims of American Higher Education. (Minda Rae Amiran)40. Universities in a Fluid Age. (Ronald Barnett)41. Academic Freedom. (Robert L. Simon)42. The Ethics of Research. (Michael Davis)43. Affirmative action in Higher Education. (Bernard Boxill)44. The Professor-Student Relationship and the Regulation of Student Life. (Peter J. Markie)45. The Role of Ethics in Professional Education. (Norman E. Bowie)Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A Companion to the Philosophy of Education is a comprehensive guide to philosophical thinking about education. Written by an international team of leading experts, the volume opens with an authoritative survey of major figures and movements and then explores the most important - and at times controversial - topics of current interest in philosophy of education. Contributors explore such topics as educational testing and measurement, knowledge and truth, critical thinking, intelligence, and learning disabilities. They also address a range of much debated issues in the politics and ethics of schooling, including church - state issues, educational choice, educational justice, equality and standards of living, multiculturalism, the ethics of special education, and sex education. The final section looks at issues in the philosophy and ethics of higher education, including academic freedom, conflicts of academic and economic values, and racial justice. This volume is a vital and comprehensive resource for anyone interested in the philosophy of education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Blackwell companions to philosophy ; 
- 0631228373 (alk. paper)
- 9780631228370 (alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: