African American art and artists
- Lewis, Samella S.
- Rev. and expanded ed.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2003.
- Physical description
- xix, 340 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 29 cm.
N6538 .N5 L38 2003
- Unknown N6538 .N5 L38 2003
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 331-338) and index.
- Foreword Introduction to the Revised and Expanded Edition Preface Acknowledgments Introduction 1619-1865: CULTURAL DEPRIVATION AND SLAVERY The Craft Heritage as an Economic Resource The Emergence of Professional Artists Freemen and the Abolitionist Movement Discrimination and the Problem of Patronage 1865-1920: EMANCIPATION AND CULTURAL DILEMMA The First Major Landscape Painter The Diverse Quests for Professional Status American Reliance on the European Artistic Tradition 192-1940: NEW AMERICANISM AND ETHNIC IDENTITY The Spread of the Harlem Movement The Self-Taught Individualists 1940-1960: SOCIAL AND POLITICAL AWARENESS Mural Art as Cultural and Social Commentary The WPA and Its Legacy 1960-1990: POLITICAL AND CULTURAL AWARENESS Painting The Flag: A Symbol of Repression Reality and the Dream Symbolism: Geometric, Organic, and Figurative Mixed-Media Assemblages Sculpture: Additive or Direct Art/Craft Drawing Graphic Processes: Economical and Aesthetic Approaches to Communication Performances/Installations/Environments 1990-2002: FROM PAINTING TO TECHNOLOGY: ART BEFORE AND INTO THE NEW MILLENNIUM Painting Sculpture Installation Art Mixed-Media Art Digital/Computer Art Conclusion Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This updated and expanded edition of "African American Art and Artists" now looks at the works and lives of artists from the 18th century to 2003, including new work in traditional media as well as in installation art, mixed media and digital/computer art.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Samella Lewis ; foreword by Floyd Coleman ; new introduction by Mary Jane Hewitt.
- 0520239296 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0520239350 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780520239296 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780520239357 (pbk. : alk. paper)