Presocratic philosophy : essays in honour of Alexander Mourelatos
- edited by Victor Caston and Daniel W. Graham.
- Aldershot ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2002.
- Physical description
- xv, 346 p. ; 25 cm.
At the library
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- The Milesians: Thales and the stars, Stephen White-- Greek law and the Presocratics, Michael Gagarin-- Heraclitus and Parmenides, Daniel W. Graham-- Parmenidean being/Heraclitean fire, Alexander Nehamas-- Parmenides and the metaphysics of changelessness, R.J. Hankinson-- Parmenides and Plato, Charles H. Kahn-- Parmenides, double-negation, and dialectic, Scott Austin-- The cosmology of mortals, Herbert Granger. The Pluralists: Anaxagoras, Plato and the naming of parts, David Furley-- Reading the readings, Andre Laks-- The metaphysics of physics, Patricia Curd-- Democritus and Xeniades, Jacques Brunschwig-- Democritus and Eudaimonism, Julia Annas-- Democritus and the void, Sylvia Berryman. The Sophists: Natural justice?, Paul Woodruff-- Gorgias on thought and its objects, Victor Caston-- To tell the truth - Dissoi Logoi 4 and Aristotle's responses, Owen Goldin-- Archytas and the Sophists, Carl Huffman. Transmission, Traditions and Reactions: Aetius, Aristotle and others, Jaap Mansfeld-- The pervasiveness of being, Paul Thom-- Three philosophers look at the stars, Sarah Broadie-- Protagoras' Great Speech and Plato's defence of Athenian democracy, William Prior.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This collection of essays presents some of the most recent trends and developments in Presocratic scholarship. A wide range of topics are covered - from the metaphysical to the moral to the methodological - as well as a broad range of authors: from recognized figures such as Heraclitus and Parmenides to Sophistic thinkers whose place has traditionally been marginalized, such as Gorgias and the author of the Dissoi Logoi. Several of the pieces are concerned with the later reception and influence of the Presocratics on ancient philosophy, an area of study important both for the light it sheds on our evidence for Presocratic thought and for understanding the philosophical power of their ideas. Drawing together contributions from distinguished authorities and internationally acclaimed scholars of ancient philosophy, this book offers new challenges to traditional interpretations in some areas of Presocratic philosophy and finds new support for traditional interpretations in other areas.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Festschrift for Alexander Mourelatos.
- 0754605027 : No price
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: