The Oxford illustrated history of the Roman world
- edited by John Boardman, Jasper Griffin, Oswyn Murray.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Physical description
- vi, 456 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of Colour Plates-- List of Maps-- Acknowledgements-- Introduction-- 1. Early Rome and Italy-- 2. The Expansion of Rome-- 3. The First Roman Literature-- 4. Cicero and Rome-- 5. The Poets of the Late Republic-- 6. The Founding of the Empire-- 7. The Arts of Governmnent-- 8. Augustan Poetry and Society-- 9. Virgil-- 10. Roman Historians-- 11. The Arts of Prose: The Early Empire-- 12. Silver Latin Poetry and the Latin Novel-- 13. Later Philosophy-- 14. The Arts of Living-- 15. Roman Life and Society-- 16. Roman Art and Architecture-- Envoi: On Taking Leave of Antiquity-- Table of Events-- Descriptive List of Illustrations.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780192854360 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The Romans succeeded in less than fifty-three years in subjecting almost the whole inhabited world of their rule. This book tells the story of the rise of Rome from its origins as a cluster of villages to the foundation of the Roman Empire by Augustus and its consolidation in the first two centuries AD. It also discusses some aspects of the later Empire and its influence on western civilizations, not least through the adoption of Christianity. Chapters dealing with social and political history are interspersed with chapters on literature, philosophy, and the arts: the conquests of Rome; Roman Emperors; Plautus, Terence, Virgil and Roman literature; Roman historians such as Tacitus and Livy; Stoicism and Scepticism; and Roman art and architecture are among the topics dealt with. The historical framework of the book is reinforced by maps and chronological charts; there are bibliographies and a full index; and the book is profusely and aptly illustrated with colour and black-and-white illustrations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780192854360 20160528
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Roman world
- Related Work
- Oxford history of the classical world.
- Related Work
- Roman world.
- 0192854364 (paperback)
- 9780192854360 (paperback)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: