The international handbook on the sociology of education : an international assessment of new research and theory
- edited by Carlos Alberto Torres and Ari Antikainen.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, c2003.
- Physical description
- vi, 415 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC189 .I53 2003
- Unknown LC189 .I53 2003
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction to a Sociology of Education. Old Dilemmas in a New Century? Carlos Alberto Torres & Ari Antikainen-- Part I Social Theory And Methodology-- Sociological theory of education in the dialectical perspective-- Honario Martin Izquierdo & Almudena Moreno Minguez (Universidad de Valladolid, S-- Explorations in the system-theoretical study of education-- Raf Vanderstraeten (University of Utrecht, The Netherlands)-- Social capital in education: Theoretical issues and empirical knowledge in attainment research-- Jules Peschar and A.B. Dijkstra (University of Groningen, The Netherlands)-- Critical ethnography and the sociology of education-- Steve Jordan (McGill University, Quebec, Canada)-- Sociocultural approaches to cognition: implications for the sociology of education-- David MacLennan (University College of the Cariboo, Canada)-- Decisive moments and key experiences: expanding paradigmatic boundaries in the study of school effects-- Gad Yair (Hebrew University, Israel)-- Biography, life course and the sociology of education-- Ari Antikainen & Katja Komonen (University of Joensuu, Finland)-- Leading the Way: The Development of Quantitative Techniques in the Sociology of Education)-- Lawrence J. Saha & John P. Keeves (The Australian National University, Flinders-- Part II Sociology Of Education In International Contexts: Regional Focus-- Educational policy and new ways of governance in a transnational period-- Antonio Teodoro (Universidade Lusofona de Humanidades e Tecnologias, Portugal)-- Constructing the Sociology of Education as a Unique Discipline: The cases of Mainland China and Taiwan Jason Chang (University of Taipei, Taiwan/China) and Zhang Renjie (Guangzhou University)-- Education in transition society: growing inequality-- David Konstantinovski (Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia)-- Sociology of Education in Latin America-- Carlos Alberto Torres (UCLA, USA)-- Institutionalised legitimate informational capital in the welfare state. Has policy failed? Martin D. Munk, (Aalborg University, Denmark)-- Part III Critical Issues In Sociology Of Education-- Making sense of education reform: global and national influences-- Geoff Whitty and Sally Power (University of London, UK)-- Civil society as equilibrium governance and choice in education: between private delivery and central regulation-- Jaap Dronkers and AnneBert Dijkstra (University of Amsterdam, University of Gro-- Women and education in Europe-- Ingrid Jonsson (University of Lund, Sweden)-- The North and South contrasted: cultural similarities and differences in affective education Yaacov J. Katz, Alkistis Kontoyianni, Peter Lang, Isabel Menezes, Sean Neill, Arja Puurula, Shlomo Romi, Lisa Vasileiou, and Lennart Vriens (Bar Ilan University, Israel-- University of Athens, Greece-- University of Warwick, UK-- University of Porto, Portugal-- University of Warwick, UK-- University of Helsinki, Finland-- Bar Ilan University, Israel-- University of Warwick UK-- Utrecht University, The Netherlands)-- Citizens in the Text? International Presentations of Citizenship in School Textbooks-- Siikka Aapola, Tuula Gordon and Elina Lahelma (University of Helsinki).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The twentieth century has been marked by the expansion of educational opportunities worldwide. It has been the century of education, and the role of the state in the promotion of public education has been decisive. Yet, at the millennium's turn efforts to diminish the role of the state are rapidly changing education, especially in terms of its role in democracy. This comprehensive handbook offers a fresh view of the social context of education, outlining the challenges as well as the advances in public and private education systems. The book offers a systematic account of current social theory and methodologies, applied perspectives on the development of education in many regions of the world, and compares key themes such as access, school choice, equity, and educational performance. Visit our website for sample chapters!.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0742517691 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0742517705 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780742517691 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780742517707 (pbk. : alk. paper)