Encyclopedia of the stateless nations : ethnic and national groups around the world
- James Minahan.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2002.
- Physical description
- 4 v. (xxii, 2241 p.) : ill., maps ; 27 cm.
- Minahan, James.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface-- Introduction-- Entries-- Appendices-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A definitive guide to the nationalism and national groups that shaped politics in the past century and are again set to dominate the global landscape in the 21st century. At the beginning of the 21st century nationalism is more important politically than at any time since prior to World War I. Despite trends toward regional economic groupings, national identity and demands for greater political and economic autonomy have become major factors in national, regional, and international affairs since the end of the Cold War. An expanded sequel to Minahan's award-winning guide to some 200 groups, Nations Without States: A Historical Dictionary of Contemporary National Movements (1996), this book provides an easy-to-use, accurate, and up-to-date guide to over 300 developed or emerging national groups worldwide. Providing fuller historical profiles of each group, it is a definitive reference on the nationalism and national groups that shaped politics in the past century and are again set to dominate the global landscape. Included in this book are numerous new national groups that have emerged since the publication of Minahan's 1996 book. Many of the groups are unknown outside of their regions, while others are in today's headlines. The volume fully profiles the evolution of each national group from its earliest history to the present, making the book an indispensable reference for those wishing to understand the world's growing multitude of national groups.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- "An expanded sequel to Minahan's ... Nations without states ... (1996) ..."--Vol. 1, p. 4 of cover.
- Related Work
- Minahan, James Nations without states.
- 0313316171 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313321094 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313321108 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 0313321116 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 0313323844 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
- 9780313316173 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313321092 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313321108 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313321115 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 9780313323843 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: