The big show in Bololand : the American relief expedition to Soviet Russia in the famine of 1921
- Bertrand M. Patenaude.
- Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, c2002.
- Physical description
- 817 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
At the library
- Patenaude, Bertrand M., 1956-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Prologue: Future corpses
- 1. The battlefield of famine : Russia's crisis and America's response
- 2. Love and death on the Volga : dramas and distractions at the famine front
- 3. Say it ain't so, comrade : American adventures in the communist utopia
- 4. Masters of efficiency : youthful America confronts eternal Russia
- Epilogue: Since then
- Appendix: Riga agreement.
When famine struck Bolshevik Russia in 1921, the US responded with a two-year relief mission that battled starvation and disease, and saved millions of lives. The tale told here is largely derived from the diaries, memoirs and letters of the American participants.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 080474467X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0804744939 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780804744676 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780804744935 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: