Organic chemistry : structure and function
- K. Peter C. Vollhardt, Neil E. Schore.
- 4th ed.
- New York : W.H. Freeman and Co., c2003.
- Physical description
- 1 v. (various pagings) : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 27 cm.
- Structure and Bonding in Organic Molecules - Structure and Reactivity: Acids and Bases, Polar and Nonpolar Molecules - Reactions of Alkanes: Bond-Dissociation Energies, Radical Halogenation, and Relative Reactivity - Cyclic Alkanes - Stereoisomers - Properties and Reactions of Haloalkanes: Bimolecular Nucleophilic Substitution - Further Reactions of Haloalkanes: Unimolecular Substitution and Pathways of Elimination - Hydroxy Functional Group: Alcohols: Properties, Preparation, and Strategy of Synthesis - Further Reactions of Alcohols and the Chemistry of Ethers - Using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy to Deduce Structure--Extensively revised and updated with 300-MHz spectra - Alkenes and Infrared Spectroscopy - Reactions of Alkenes - Alkynes: The Carbon-Carbon Triple Bond - Delocalized Pi Systems: Investigation by Ultraviolet and Visible Spectroscopy - Benzene and Aromaticity: Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution - Electrophilic Attack on Derivatives of Benzene: Substituents Control Regioselectivity - Aldehydes and Ketones: The Carbonyl Group - Enols, Enolates, and the Aldol Condensation: - Carboxylic Acids - Carboxylic Acid Derivatives and Mass Spectrometry - Amines and their Derivatives: Functional Groups Containing Nitrogen - Chemistry of Benzene Substituents: Alkylbenzenes, Phenols, and Benzenamines - Enolates and the Claisen Condensation: Synthesis of b-Dicarbonyl Compounds-- Acyl Anion Equivalents - Carbohydrates: Polyfunctional Compounds in Nature - Heterocycles: Heteroatoms in Cyclic Organic Compounds--Updated - Amino Acids, Peptides, Proteins, and Nucleic Acids: Nitrogen-Containing Polymers in Nature -
- Chapter Integration Problems / Important Concepts / Problems / Team Problems / Preprofessional.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Dispelling the notion that organic chemistry is an overwhelming, shapeless body of facts, this textbook provides students with a framework for organizing their approach to the course. By emphasizing the relationship between structure and function, the authors provide a framework for understanding mechanisms and reactions. Stressing the importance of synthetic strategies and biological and industrial applications, the text introduces students to real chemistry as it is actually practised. This fourth edition offers significant updates in coverage and learning tools and enhanced media support at the book's companion website.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Chemistry, Organic.
- Publication date
- Includes index.
Browse related items
Start at call number: