Sustainable agriculture and food security : the impact of globalisation
- edited by Vandana Shiva, Gitanjali Bedi.
- New Delhi ; Thousand Oaks : Sage Publications, 2002.
- Physical description
- 513 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- PART ONE: GLOBALIZATION AND FOOD SECURITY Globalization of Agriculture, Food Security and Sustainability - Vandana Shiva PART TWO: (A) THE IMPACT OF TRADE LIBERALIZATION IN ASIA Structural Adjustment and Food Security in Pakistan - Shahrukh Rafi Khan, Sajid Kazmi and Zahid Ahmad An Aggregate Analysis The Impact of Globalization on Agriculture - Sarath Fernando Marginal Farmers and the Poor in Sri Lanka PART TWO: (B) THE IMPACT OF TRADE LIBERALIZATION IN INDIA The Impact of SAP on Land Resources and Food Accessibility in Maharashtra - Sulabha Brahme The Impact of Structural Adjustment Programmes on Land and Water Resources of Gujarat - Darshini Mahadevia Foodgrain Stocks to Feed the Poor or Pay for Liberalized Imports? - Abhijit Sen Seeds of Suicide - Vandana Shiva and Afsar Jafri The Ecological and Human Costs of Globalization of Agriculture PART THREE: CORPORATIZATION OF AGRICULTURE The Corporate Reapers - A V Krebs US Agriculture Policy and the Uruguay Round - Kristin Dawkins Implications for Food Security and Global Democracy Floriculture and Food Security Issues - T N Prakash and Tejaswini PART FOUR: GLOBALIZATION OF FOOD INSECURITY Food Security - Tim Lang Does It Conflict with Globalization? Globalization, Peasant Agriculture and Food Security in Mexico - Victor Suarez Carrera Neither Comparative Advantage nor Self-Sufficiency International Trade and Food Security in India - Amitava Mukherjee Industrial Fisheries and Acquaculture in India - John Kurien Factory Farming - Philip Lymbery The Global Mistake PART FIVE: CORPORATE MONOPOLIES ON LIFE Monopoly and Monoculture - Vandana Shiva and Tom Crompton Trends in the Indian Seed Industry Biodiversity and Biotechnology - Beth Burrows PART SIX: DEMOCRATIZING THE FOOD SYSTEM: FOOD RIGHTS AND FOOD RESPONSIBILITIES Associative Economics - Nicanor Perlas Responding to the Challenge of Elite Globalization From Global Dependence to Local Interdependence - Helena Norberg-Hodge Annam Bahu Kurvita - J K Bajaj and M D Srinivas The Indian Discipline of Growing and Sharing Food in Plenty.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761995432 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Sustainable agriculture is based on the sustainable use of natural resources land, water and agricultural biodiversity, including that of plants and animals. The sustainable use of these, in turn, requires that their ownership and control lie with decentralised agricultural communities to generate livelihoods, provide food and conserve natural resources. These three dimensions of ecological security, livelihood security and food security are the essential elements of an agriculture policy which is sustainable and equitable. This book shows how the processes of globalization threaten to undermine all three dimensions, and calls for immediate action.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761995432 20160528
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- 0761995439 (C)
- 9780761995432 (hb)
- 8178290227 (India : HB)
- 9788178290225 (India : HB)
Browse related items
Start at call number: