Breaking new ground : mining, minerals, and sustainable development : the report of the MMSD Project
- London ; Sterling, VA : Earthscan, 2002.
- Physical description
- xxxiv, 441 p. : ill. ; 31 cm. + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 421-433) and index.
- Foreword by Nigel Cross and Bjorn Stigson * Statement by the MMSD Assurance Group * Statement by the MMSD Sponsors Group * Executive Summary * Introduction * Part 1: A framework for change - The Minerals Sector and Sustainable Development. Part II: Current Trends and Actors - Producing and Selling Minerals * a Profile of the Minerals Sector * The Need for and Availability of Minerals * Case Studies on Minerals. Part III: Challenges - Viability of the Minerals Industry * The Control, Use and Management of Land * Minerals and Economic Development * Local Communities and Mines * Mining, Minerals and the Environment * An Integrated Approach to Using Minerals * Access to Information * Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining * Roles, Responsibilities and Instruments of Change. Part IV: Responses and Recommendations - Regional Perspectives * Agenda for Change * Appendices: Appendix.1. The MMSD Project * Appendix 2. MMSD Consultation Activities * Acronyms and Abbreviations Bibliography * Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781853839078 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Mining is fundamental to our lives - we wear and travel in; build, cook and communicate with its products daily. However, it is also one of the most environmentally damaging industries. This study examines how such a huge and multi-facetted industry can be made sustainable, minimizing its harmful impacts and maximizing its social and economic contribution. It analyses the different needs and risks of those affected, as well as issues of supply and demand of minerals throughout the world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781853839078 20160528
- Publication date
- "International Institute for Environment and Development; World Business Council for Sustainable Development"--Cover.
- System requirements: PC: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP. Mac: OS8.6 or higher; Acrobat Reader 5.0 for Macintosh.
- 1853839078 (pbk.)
- 1853839426 (hbk.)
- 9781853839078 (paperback)
- 9781853839429 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: