Introduction to infrared and Raman spectroscopy
- Norman B. Colthup, Lawrence H. Daly, Stephen E. Wiberley.
- 3rd ed.
- Boston : Academic Press, c1990.
- Physical description
- xii, 547 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Vibrational and Rotational Spectra. IR Experimental Considerations. Molecular Symmetry. The Vibrational Origin of Group Frequencies. Methyl and Methylene Groups. Triple Bonds and Cumulated Double Bonds. Olefin Groups. Aromatic and Heteroaromatic Rings. Carbonyl Compounds. Ethers, Alcohols, and Phenols. Amines, C=N, and N=O Compounds. Compounds Conking Boron, Silicon, Phosphorus, Sulfur, or Halogen. Major Spectra-Structure Correlations by Spectral Regions. The Theoretical Analysis of Molecular Vibrations.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
Now in its third edition, this classic text covers many aspects of infrared and Raman spectroscopy that are critical to the chemist doing structural or compositional analysis. This work includes practical and theoretical approaches to spectral interpretation as well as a discussion of experimental techniques. Emphasis is given to group frequencies, which are studied in detailed discussions, extensive tables, and over 600 carefully chosen and interpreted spectral examples. Also featured is a unique treatment of group frequencies that stresses their mechanical origin. This qualitative approach to vibrational analysis helps to simplify spectral interpretation. Additional topics include basic instrumental components and sampling techniques, quantitative analysis, Raman polarization data, infrared gas contours, and polarized IR studies, among others. Among its key features, it: focuses on group frequency correlations and how to use them in spectral interpretation; is revised and updated by a pioneer in the field, Norman Colthup, who for thirty years has served as an expert lecturer for the Fisk Infrared Institute; explores new group frequency studies in aromatics, alkanes and olefins, among others; and includes completely updated section on instrumentation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 012182554X (alk. paper)
- 9780121825546 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: