Greek art and archaeology
- John Griffiths Pedley.
- 3rd ed.
- London : Laurence King, 2002.
- Physical description
- 400 p. : ill. (some col.), maps ; 26 cm.
- Pedley, John Griffiths.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -393) and index.
- Introduction-- The Aegean in the Third Millennium-- The Middle Bronze Age-- The Late Bronze Age The Dark Age and Geometric Greece-- The Orientalizing Period-- Archaic Greece-- The Period of Transition-- The High Classical Period-- The Fourth Century-- The Hellenistic Period.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781856692861 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- Praised as being an ideal introduction to the field, this book explores the development of Greek art and civilisation across three millennia, from the engimatically beautiful Cycladic figurines of the Bronze Age to the sensuous sculptures, mosaics and buildings of the Hellenistic period. This new edition includes the latest archaeological discoveries such as the 7th century b.c. statue found on the island of Thera as well as expanded coverage on the art of Macedon. The author has also added special interest boxed inserts on Greek culture & society and on controversies & issues. Clearly written and authoritative, the author blends insightful interpretation and numerous well-chosen illustrations to provide the most accessible introduction available today.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781856692861 20160527
- Publication date
- 1856692868(pbk.) : £16.95
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: