Gay rights on trial : a reference handbook
- Lee Walzer.
- Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2002.
- Physical description
- xvii, 323 p. ; 24 cm.
- On trial.
- Walzer, Lee.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 301-310) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Americans, it is said, are the most litigious people on Earth. Want proof? ABC-CLIO's On Trial series offers the evidence. From racial violence to gay rights, On Trial explores the courts, the controversies, and the complex ways -- good and bad, effective and ineffective -- that litigation has shaped and reshaped our society. -- An introduction to the issues, controversies, events, and participants -- An examination of the social, economic, political, and historical background -- An analysis of court decisions that have shaped the current status of the controversy or crisis -- A discussion of likely future actions -- Selected primary documents such as court cases, statutes, newspaper accounts, and interviews -- An A-to-Z presentation of people, laws, events, and concepts -- A chronology -- An annotated bibliography An in-depth examination of the relationship between gay rights, public opinion, and legislation since the late 1800s. The struggle of gay and lesbian activists to pave the way for greater freedom and protection under the law in American society has been a long and heated one. As societal acceptance of gay lifestyles grows, judicial opinion both leads and follows public opinion. -- Four narrative chapters put the struggle for gay rights in historical context throughout the 20th century -- A -- Z entries cover people, laws, events and concepts -- Documents section includes excerpts from primary documents and other valuable reference materials -- Chronology highlights significant historical events.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781576077320 20160527
- Publication date
- ABC-CLIO's on trial series
- 1576072541 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1576077322 (e-book)
- 9781576072547 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781576077320 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: