Writing across the chemistry curriculum : an instructor's handbook
- Jeffrey Kovac, Donna W. Sherwood.
- Upper Saddle River, NJ : Prentice Hall, c2001.
- Physical description
- viii, 91 p. ; 24 cm.
Chemistry & ChemEng Library (Swain)
|QD9.15 .K68 2001||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 81-88) and index.
- 1. Introduction. 2. Designing Effective Writing Assignments. Characteristics of a Good Assignment. Topic Types. Conceptual Levels. Formality and Informality in Writing Requirements. Constructing a Good Assignment. Summary. 3. Using Writing in the Chemistry Curriculum. Using Writing in an Individual Chemistry Course. Using Writing Across the Curriculum. Summary. 4. Grading Writing Assignments. Weighting Writing. Holistic Grading. Analytical Approach. Ungraded Writing. Training Graders. Summary. 5. Responding to Student Writing. Writing Responses. Peer Evaluation. Conferencing. Summary. 6. Assignments. Content-Specific Assignments. Re-Integration/Enrichment Assignments. Exam-Preparation Assignments. Form-Specific Assignments. Professional Advancement Assignments. 7. Annotated Bibliography. Style Guides. Dictionaries and Usage Guides. Internet Resources. Professional and Technical Writing Guides. Other Resources for Writers. Resources for Teaching Writing.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Useful in all undergraduate and graduate chemistry courses. * One of the current challenges facing science educators is that of student writing skills. There is a widespread (and correct) impression that science students cannot write and that they need to learn how if they are to succeed as professionals. * Writing-across-the-curriculum programs, offered at a number of institutions, are designed to improve students' rhetorical and writing skills by requiring written coursework in all or most courses (including courses that have traditionally been more quantitative, like chemistry and physics). * Designed exclusively for Instructors, this book discusses issues surrounding the implementation of writing-across-the-curriculum programs in physical science, particularly chemistry. For those who are considering or already offering such programs, this book is a rich resource of clear, practical, step-by-step suggestions and other advice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0130292842 (pbk.)
- 9780130292841 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: