Artists books in the modern era 1870-2000 : the Reva and David Logan collection of illustrated books
- Robert Flynn Johnson ; essay by Donna Stein.
- London : Thames & Hudson ; [San Francisco] : Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 2001.
- Physical description
- 302 p. : col. ill. ; 29 cm.
- Preface-- Essay by Donna Stein-- Essay by Robert Flynn Johnson-- Catalogue - 180 books, c. 160 shown one to a page, c. 20 in double-page spreads Selected Bibliography-- The Logan Collection - all 400 works in the collection listed.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780500237946 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- Almost every well-known painter and sculptor has created at least one book with original illustrations since the late nineteenth century. Publishers have engaged the imaginations of the finest writers, designers, printers and artists - among them Picasso, Malevich, Kandinsky, Kokoschka and Matisse - to collaborate on the creation of the vibrant publications created here in six sections: the evolution of the modern book in the decades before and after 1900; the momentum of Modernism in the twenties; the key role of Picasso; the influences of Dada, Surrealism, the Second World War and its aftermath; the shift of cultural power to the United States; and the new trends of the contemporary era.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780884011026 20160527
- At the beginning of the 20th century, artists' books abandoned extravagant and costly editions in favour of aesthetic and technological experimentation produced through inexpensive photomechanical means. Designed for distribution to a wide audience and printed in large editions, these volumes were often bold, colourful and accessible. The Logan Collection, the best of which is presented here, surveys late nineteenth and twentieth-century developments in the genre of artists' books. Notable for its masterpieces and the superb quality of its more than four hundred artists' books, it provides the most comprehensive historical overview of the genre available today. Some of the most prestigious publishers of the 20th century - among them Ambroise Vollard, Albert Skira, Gerald Cramer and Iliazd - have engaged the imagination of the finest artists - among them. Picasso, Malevich, Kandinsky, Kokoschka and Matisse - to collaborate on the creation of the vibrant publications celebrated in this volume.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780500237946 20160527
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- Published on the occasion of the exhibition Artists' Books in the Modern Era, 1870-2000: the Reva and David Logan Collection of Illustrated Books, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, 6 October, 2001-6 January, 2002.
- 0500237948 (U.K. : cloth)
- 0884011038 (U.S. : cloth)
- 088401102X (U.S. : pbk.)
- 9780884011033 (U.S. : cloth)
- 9780884011026 (pbk.)
- 9780500237946 (U.K. : cloth)
Browse related items
Start at call number: