M/E/A/N/I/N/G : an anthology of artists' writings, theory, and criticism
- edited by Susan Bee & Mira Schor.
- Durham [N.C.] : Duke University Press, 2000.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 467 p. ; 25 cm.
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
|N6512 .M378 2000||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- I Feminism and art II The politics of meaning and representation III Selections from the forums IV Artists' musings V Artists in perspective.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "M/E/A/N/I/N/G" brings together essays and commentary by over a hundred artists, critics, and poets, culled from the art magazine of the same name. The editors - artists Susan Bee and Mira Schor - have selected the liveliest and most provocative pieces from the maverick magazine that bucked commercial gallery interests and media hype during its ten-year tenure (1986-96) to explore visual pleasure with a culturally activist edge. With its emphasis on artists' perspectives of aesthetic and social issues, this anthology provides a unique opportunity to enter into the fray of the most hotly contested art issues of the past few decades: the visibility of women artists, sexuality and the arts, censorship, art world racism, the legacies of modernism, artists as mothers, visual art in the digital age, and the rewards and toils of a lifelong career in art. The stellar cast of contributing artists and art writers includes Nancy Spero, Richard Tuttle, David Humphrey, Thomas McEvilley, Laura Cottingham, Johanna Drucker, David Reed, Carolee Schneemann, Whitney Chadwick, Robert Storr, Leon Golub, Charles Bernstein, and Alison Knowles. This compelling and theoretically savvy collection will be of interest to artists, art historians, critics, and a general audience interested in the views of practising artists.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Related Work
- 0822325349 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0822325667 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780822325345 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780822325666 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: