The works of Mr. William Shakespear : in eight volumes : adorn'd with cutts
- revis'd and corrected, with an account of the life and writings of the author, by N. Rowe, Esq.
- Uniform Title
- Plays. 1714
- London : Printed for Jacob Tonson ..., 1714.
- Physical description
- 8 v. : ill. ; 17 cm.
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
Library has: v.1-
|PR2752 .R69 1714||In-library use|
- 1: Some account of the life, &c. of Mr. William Shakespear. The tempest. The two gentlemen of Verona. The merry wives of Windsor. Measure for measure. The comedy of errors. Much ado about nothing
- v. 2. Love's labour's lost. A midsummer night's dream. The merchant of Venice. As you like it. The taming of the shrew. All's well that ends well
- v. 3. Twelfth-night, or, What you will. The winter's tale. King John. King Richard II. Henry IV, part I
- v. 4. King Henry IV, part II. King Henry V. King Henry VI, part I. King Henry VI, part II. King Henry VI, part III
- v. 5. Richard III. King Henry VIII. Troilus and Cressida. Coriolanus. Titus Andronicus
- v. 6. Romeo and Juliet. Timon of Athens. Julius Caesar. Macbeth. Hamlet, Prince of Denmark
- v. 7. King Lear. Othello. Antony and Cleopatra. Cymbeline
- v. 8. Pericles Prince of Tyre. London prodigal. Thomas Lord Cromwell. Sir John Oldcastle. The Puritan. A Yorkshire tragedy. Locrine.
- Publication date
- Third ed., 1st issue.--Cf. Ford, p. 15: "very scarce."
- General t.p. in v. 1 only; v. 1-8 have part t.p.: "The works of Mr. William Shakespear : volume the first[-eighth]". Each play also has special t.p. with: "Printed in the year 1714." Plays were also sold separately--Cf. Jaggard.
- Numerous pagination errors.
- Portraits of Shakespeare by Lud. du Guernier face t.p., p. [I] and p. XXXVI, v. 1.; plates by du Guernier or Kirkall face each play's t.p.
- Head- and tail-pieces; initials.
- Includes "An index of the most beautiful thoughts, descriptions, speeches, &c. in Shakespear's works": v. 8, p. -.
- Ford, H.L. Shakespeare 1700-1740, p. 15-18.
- Jaggard, W. Shakespeare bibl., p. 497-498.
- ESTC (BL), N25981.
- Special Collections and University Archives copy 1: Provenance: Carmel M. Montgomery (signature); Jerry D. Melton (bookplate); armorial crest with letter C; Walter Gough (signature, v. 4); F.H. A.-G.-C. (armorial bookplate, v. 8); ms. annotations & corrections.
- England -- London.
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: