The benedictional of Saint Aethelwold
- Uniform Title
- Benedictional (Ms. Benedictional of Aethelwold)
- [London] : Folio Society, 2001.
- Physical description
- 1 portfolio : ill. ; 32 cm.
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|BX2046 .A1 C38 2001 F||In-library use|
- Included Work
- Prescott, Andrew Benedictional of Saint Aethelwold.
- Aethelwold, Saint, Bishop of Winchester, approximately 908-984 > Manuscripts.
- Benedictional of Aethelwold.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Romanesque > England > Winchester.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Anglo-Saxon > England > Winchester.
- Manuscripts, Latin (Medieval and modern) > England > Winchester > Facsimiles.
- Christian art and symbolism > Medieval, 500-1500.
- Publication date
- Consists of facsimile of original manuscript (119 leaves numbered in modern ms.,  colophon leaf; 29 cm.) and The benedictional of Saint Aethelwold : a commentary / Andrew Prescott. London : The Folio Society, 2001 (41 p. ; 23 cm.).
- Title from cover of facsimile.
- Issued in red clamshell container, with title label on spine, commentary in a hollow under the facsimile. Laid in: slip with instructions for the care of the leather.
- "This facsimile edition ... has been reproduced from the original manuscript in The British Library through digital photography by Elizabeth Hunter and printed at the Cambridge University Press ... This edition of 1000 copies has been bound for members of The Folio Society by Smith Settle in full goatskin leather over bevelled boards, blocked with calligraphy by John Andrew, with handmade laid-paper endleaves from the Fabriano mill"--Colophon.
- Stanford copy 1 (RBC): No. 740. Provenance: Barbara Baxter. Laid in: prospectus to members of the Folio Society and letter to Barbara Baxter reserving a copy for her.
- Green Library copy 1 (MEDIEVALRM): Gift of Prof. George Brown.
Browse related items
Start at call number: