Dr. Oscar I. Norwich collection of maps of Africa and its islands, 1486 - ca. 1865
- Physical description
- 312 items.
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|INDIVIDUALLY CATALOGED||In-library use|
- Finding aid
- Finding aid available online
- The collection contains 312 maps of Africa and its islands collected by Oscar I. Norwich, and includes sea charts and maps of Southern Africa; the Cape of Good Hope; North, East, and West Africa; islands, ports, and town plans. The majority of the maps are loose items, but a certain number are from rare, published atlases; a few were published in travel books.
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Title Variation
- Norwich collection of maps of Africa and its islands
- Purchased in part with the support of the William R. & Yvonne E. Jacobson Africana Collections Program, 2002. Accession 2007-083.
- Dr. Oscar I. Norwich of Johannesburg, South Africa, collected maps, both printed and manuscript, for more than thirty-five years.
- Cumulative index or finding aid
- Finding aid available online.
Browse related items
Start at call number: