The biological chemistry of the elements : the inorganic chemistry of life
- J.J.R Fraústo da Silva and R.J.P. Williams.
- 2nd ed.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Physical description
- xvii, 575 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Chemistry & ChemEng Library (Swain)
|QP531 .S54 2001||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The chemical and physical factors controlling the elements of life1: The chemical elements in biology. 2: The principles of the uptake and chemical speciation of the elements in biology. 3: Physical separations of elements: compartments and zones in biology. 4: Kinetic considerations of chemiscal reactions, catalysis, and control. 5: Energy in biological systems and hydrogen biochemistry. 6: The role of biological macromolecules and polymers. 7: The functional value of the chemical elements in biological systems. The roles of individual elements in biology8: Sodium, potassium, and chlorine: osmotic control, electrolytic equilibria, and currents. 9: The biological chemistry of magnesium: phosphate metabolism. 10: Calcium: controls and triggers. 11: Zinc: Lewis acid catalysis and regulation. 12: Non-haem iron: redox reactions and controls. 13: Haen iron: coupled redox reactions. 14: Manganese: dioxygen evolution and glycosylation. 15: Copper: extracytoplasmic oxidases and matrix formation. 16: Nickel and cobalt: remnants of early life. 17: Molybdenum, tungsten, vanadium, and chromium. 18: Phosphate, silica, and chloride: acid-base non-metals. 19: Sulphur, selenium, and the halogens: redox non-metals. 20: Integrated living systems of elements.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198508472 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume presents a comprehensive treatment of the role of the chemical elements and approaches the subject of biochemistry in a way which should prove useful to practising scientists or advanced students from either biochemistry or inorganic chemistry. The text aims to provide relevant information regarding the impact of one discipline on the other.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198508472 20160528
- Bioinorganic chemistry.
- Publication date
- 0198508484 (pbk.)
- 9780198508472 (Hbk : alk. paper)
- 9780198508489 (pbk : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: