Beethoven and his world : a biographical dictionary
- Peter Clive.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Physical description
- xlvii, 490 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
|ML410 .B4 C62 2001||Unknown|
- Clive, H. P.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -448) and indexes.
- LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS-- A CHRONICLE OF BEETHOVEN'S LIFE-- DICTIONARY-- BIBLIOGRAPHY AND ABBREVIATIONS-- INDEX OF BEETHOVEN'S WORKS-- INDEX OF NAMES.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198166726 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Following the author's acclaimed biographical dictionaries on Schubert and Mozart, 'Beethoven and His World' offers an extremely comprehensive and up-to-date survey of the composer's relations with a multitude of persons with whom he associated on a personal or professional basis: relatives, friends, acquaintances, librettists, poets, publishers, artists, patrons, and musicians. With more than 450 entries, the dictionary is the result of a wide-ranging examination of primary and secondary sources, and critically assesses the use which scholars have made of the considerable documentation now available. In particular, there are numerous references to Beethoven's correspondence and conversation books, which have recently been published in excellent new editions. The book places the composer and his music in a fuller context and a wider perspective than might be possible in a traditional biography; it will appeal to all music lovers, both the scholar and the non-specilaist alike.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198166726 20160528
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: